Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems like such an obvious problem, but I have yet to find an answer on the internet. Mine is a 2020 Outback. Like many people, I drive various places to exercise (running, cycling, boating, swimming, etc.) and I do not want to carry in my pocket an entire, bulky, key FOB that is not waterproof. The goal is to remove the small, waterproof valet key from the FOB, disable the FOB, and leave the FOB in the car. This should be easy. Does anyone know how to accomplish this without some ridiculous tin foil wrap solution?

The PIN code solution is not good. It requires subscription and cell reception.

Thanks, community!

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,454 Posts
This seems like such an obvious problem, but I have yet to find an answer on the internet. Mine is a 2020 Outback. Like many people, I drive various places to exercise (running, cycling, boating, swimming, etc.) and I do not want to carry in my pocket an entire, bulky, key FOB that is not waterproof. The goal is to remove the small, waterproof valet key from the FOB, disable the FOB, and leave the FOB in the car. This should be easy. Does anyone know how to accomplish this without some ridiculous tin foil wrap solution?

The PIN code solution is not good. It requires subscription and cell reception.

Thanks, community!
I don’t think the pin code requires anything other than push button start.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,241 Posts
Remote unlock via the smartphone "my subaru" app or website requires subscription but the pin code does not. The following video was made by one of our forum members:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aha! Bad me. I thought the PIN system and remote unlock/phone system were inter-related. Ok great. This may solve my problem. One related question: There seem to be competing suggestions for how to disable the key FOB. The video above shows (at 4:10) holding LOCK and pressing UNLOCK twice. But the Subaru factory video shows (at 0:16) a procedure of opening/locking the driver door and pressing LOCK and HATCH UNLOCK until a chirp. If one works, fabulous.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Happy to report that the process in the user video above seem to have worked. One small twist: Even after disabling the FOB, opening the car with the PIN seems to re-enable the FOB. Maybe that's not a big deal, but if you disable the FOB, leave it in the car (intentionally), and then return to the car briefly for something you may have forgotten, you have to remember to disable the FOB again before walking away from the car.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,454 Posts
Happy to report that the process in the user video above seem to have worked. One small twist: Even after disabling the FOB, opening the car with the PIN seems to re-enable the FOB. Maybe that's not a big deal, but if you disable the FOB, leave it in the car (intentionally), and then return to the car briefly for something you may have forgotten, you have to remember to disable the FOB again before walking away from the car.
If the FOB is enabled and left in the car, you cannot lock it so you should be fine. One exception: an active FOB can be left inside the car if the lock button on the second FOB is pressed from outside the car, one of many useful quirks that Subaru has designed in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts