Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2018 OB 3.6 Limited
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a eco hitch installed and am very happy with the hitch. Thanks to everyone here that recommended the eco hitch. Now that I have a hitch I have been using my bicycle rack. Unfortunately, when the 2018 OB limited is put into reverse, the RAB has activated 2 times. It stops the car very abruptly with a loud noise. In addition, it beeps. If I leave it in reverse but do not back up after about 15-20 seconds the RAB disables and I get a message on the dash board that says RAB disabled and P disabled. Can someone explain how they handle bike racks with this feature in the OB. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring, Wilderness Green
78 Posts
When put in reverse, look to the lower right corner of the infotainment screen. There should be a digital button that you can press to turn off the beep. As far as I know, you have to do this everytime when you uave your hitch loaded.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
When put in reverse, look to the lower right corner of the infotainment screen. There should be a digital button that you can press to turn off the beep. As far as I know, you have to do this everytime when you uave your hitch loaded.
Actually, you have to do it every time you shift into reverse. I believe others here have found a longer lasting solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a 2018 2.5i with the Ecohitch installed and a bike rack mounted. When the rack is free of bikes and folded up, I start the car and put it in reverse, and I get the beeping, but the RAB is disabled without me having to do anything. I just got the rack set up, so I haven't actually tested it with bikes on it, but it seems strange that RAB is disabled automatically.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I just checked.

Once disabled on my 2017 3.6 it stays off so long as the car is running.
Not my 2018. If I shift out of reverse and go right back into reverse, RAB is re-enabled.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring, Wilderness Green
78 Posts
Same for me. If anyone knows a more permanent or longer lasting solution, please chime in :)

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
You could unplug the sensors.

If you want the able to switch it on and off you could build a switch that interrupts the sensors circuit and wire to the dash.

It's a single two wire plug for all the sensors on the rear bumper.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
594 Posts
You could unplug the sensors.

If you want the able to switch it on and off you could build a switch that interrupts the sensors circuit and wire to the dash.

It's a single two wire plug for all the sensors on the rear bumper.
May need to review a wiring diagram for the ‘18. When we had our accident last month that busted a sensor we couldn’t turn off the beep and brakes except for the radio controls each time the car was put in reverse. The shop pulled the busted sensor out and it didn’t help. Seems if a sensor is faulty or unplugged it trips the system.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You people have it easy with just the bike rack :) . My rear auto brake locks every time I leave my driveway because it thinks I'm going to hit the road as our driveway has a slight incline. The only way to solve this is to trade the car in for one without RAB or push the button every time you put it in reverse.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
You people have it easy with just the bike rack :) . My rear auto brake locks every time I leave my driveway because it thinks I'm going to hit the road as our driveway has a slight incline. The only way to solve this is to trade the car in for one without RAB or push the button every time you put it in reverse.

Unless I disable my RAB on the touchscreen, I have to back VERY slowly down my driveway. I'm sure my neighbors wonder why in the **** it takes me so long to back out of my short driveway.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,655 Posts

Bought the '18 Touring yesterday and the first time I backed down the drive which is on an incline it braked suddenly. At least I know how it works without having to test it on an actual object.

Reactions: Dantrax

·
Registered
971 Posts
... The only way to solve this is to ... push the button every time you put it in reverse.

I have to do this every time I back into the garage. My driveway is rather steep, with a slight tip back up before the door to drain water away. RAB will nail the brakes unless I literally crawl into the garage. It's just habit for me now to press the screen as soon as I put it into reverse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just picked up a '19 Touring this week and found out the hard way that I have the same situation. The wife is not happy that she will have to remember to disable it every time she pulls out of the driveway. Oddly enough you can permanently disable the beeping through the media menu, but not the actual RAB.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On our 18 and 19 with permanently affixed bike rack, we disconnected the rear bumper sensor wire. Dealer did this, failing to find a more elegant solution. You get used to the RAB light on the dash....

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 3.6R
3 Posts
I dealt with this for about a year and a half with a bike rack untill I figured it out.

Got to RAB. Then Sonar Audible Alarm. Then set to "Off" Then when you put it in reverse, no more beeping and you see RAB Disabled and the Sonar Alarm off in the message center.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited, ES, HK, hitch, wheel arch moldings, Glasscoat.
79 Posts
I dealt with this for about a year and a half with a bike rack untill I figured it out.

Got to RAB. Then Sonar Audible Alarm. Then set to "Off" Then when you put it in reverse, no more beeping and you see RAB Disabled and the Sonar Alarm off in the message cente
Thanks, you rock! Gonna try this out...

I often back out of a driveway covered with long grass. If I don't turn off the RAB, the brakes jam on and scare the sh*t out of me.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Got to RAB. Then Sonar Audible Alarm. Then set to "Off" Then when you put it in reverse, no more beeping and you see RAB Disabled and the Sonar Alarm off in the message center.

Thanks so much. I hate this reverse breaking feature that came with my 2018 Subaru Outback with Eyesight. Will never buy any car that have this feature again and regret paying $2-3K extra for it (hubby told me to get it).

We just tried this method and it works. Hope it will stay off for a long time :)

·
Registered
4 Posts

We just tried it and it works great to turn the reverse breaking off. I hate this feature and regret getting it in my 2018 Outback :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts