Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Lancaster 2.5L man
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a 2001 Lancaster (Japanese import Outback) and it has the maps CD stuck in the nav unit. I don't intend to use the navigation, but the unit is making a constant whirring noise as if it's trying to load the disc.
All the buttons and display are in Japanese. There's an error message on the display which says something like "Please insert the disc".
I can see the disc in the unit, but can't reach it with pliers to remove it. Pressing the 'eject' pauses the noise briefly, but then it resumes.

I've searched here and google and found keypresses to force the disc to eject for newer touchscreen models, but not mine. Can anyone help?
I can post a photo of the unit if that helps.

Cheers, Todd

·
Registered
2005 xt limited gone but not forgotten
343 Posts
I had that happen in a Ford. Even with the key off it still has a bit of power going to the CD player. I disconnected the battery for about 20 or 30 minutes to clear all power to everything. I connected the battery and evidently it reset the CD cycle. One push of the eject and the CD came out.

I have also heard of using tape on a putty knife, but reverse winding the tape so the sticky side is out. Slide it in carefully, then use another putty knife or bread knife to press the top down on the CD so the tape sticks. Then pressing the eject and wiggling up and out will sometimes remove them. Have a needle nose pliers or long tweezers handy to pull once it appears in the opening.

·
Registered
2001 Lancaster 2.5L man
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that serotta, I've tried removing the battery - had it on charge for a few hours but still no joy.
Reckon I'll give the double-sided tape on a blade technique a try, that could well work.

Getting access to the cd slot is quite tricky, it'd be good if I could remove the screen. (would be even better if the disc players had a manual eject mechanism that you push with a paperclip)

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
Some CD players have a very small hole on the faceplate where something about the size of an unbent paper clip can be inserted to force the disc to eject. I didn't see such a hole on my 2000, but thought I'd mention it in case your Japanese variation has one.

Annnnd I just re-read your post and saw that mine is obsolete.

·
Registered
2005 xt limited gone but not forgotten
343 Posts
Thanks for that serotta, I've tried removing the battery - had it on charge for a few hours but still no joy.
Reckon I'll give the double-sided tape on a blade technique a try, that could well work.

Getting access to the cd slot is quite tricky, it'd be good if I could remove the screen. (would be even better if the disc players had a manual eject mechanism that you push with a paperclip)

Another thing that might work:

Get a plastic toothpick, cut the end slightly rounded (rat tailed file), put a drop of superglue on it then press it up against the edge of the CD. (or even glue it on top of the CD if there is room) Let is sit with pressure for the 1 minute or so it takes to harden, or even leave it overnight to be sure it's nice and hardened. Then try pliers or tweezers to pull it out while you press the eject button over and over.

·
Registered
2001 Lancaster 2.5L man
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CD update:
I had to pop across to Australia for a week, but now I'm back home so I tried the 'sticky tape on a putty knife' technique. I actually used double-sided tape on a paint scraper, but the idea is the same. Happy to report partial success - I got the disc out! Turned out that there were 2 discs stuck in there. But unfortunately, the motor whirring noise remains (and error message asking for a disc).
I tried putting just the nav cd back in to check if it was the 2nd disc that had caused the problem, but it wasn't. Had to repeat the putty knife trick to get the disc out again.
I've decided to just ignore the noise, pretend it isn't there, possibly turn the stereo up.

Cheers for the replies. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts