Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a JDM S401 grill for my 2004 outback and it doesn't fit. Will a legacy hood fit to where I can install the grill?

·
Registered
2002 Outback
654 Posts
A 2004 is the last year for 2nd generation OB in the US. What year is the JDM grill? It could be they went to 3rd gen body a year earlier in Japan?

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
1,834 Posts
The Legacy and Outback grills are 2 different heights. Maybe the one you got was for a Legacy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A 2004 is the last year for 2nd generation OB in the US. What year is the JDM grill? It could be they went to 3rd gen body a year earlier in Japan?
The grill came off a 2004 Legacy S401. I'm wondering if a legacy hood will fit on my outback where I can install the grille or if there's an adapter?

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
564 Posts
Define "doesn't fit". Pictures would help.

I've put a Legacy grill on an Outback. All the mounting holes lined up, but the Outback bumper has a deeper cutout for the grill, so there was an inch gap or so between the bottom of the grill and bumper. If this is what you're experiencing, the solution is a Legacy bumper (or get a plastic welder, and modify the grill).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Define "doesn't fit". Pictures would help.

I've put a Legacy grill on an Outback. All the mounting holes lined up, but the Outback bumper has a deeper cutout for the grill, so there was an inch gap or so between the bottom of the grill and bumper. If this is what you're experiencing, the solution is a Legacy bumper (or get a plastic welder, and modify the grill).
Will get back with pictures. There is about an inch gap on either side and the holes do not line up. Will try again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts