Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shopping for new hiking boots to warm my feet while driving when I decided instead to take my car to the dealer to ask why heat wasn't coming out on my feet.

Sharing in case anyone else has this problem: When I got the car back, the heat was turned to HIGH (the setting when it is >89 degrees) and the flow was also turned to the highest setting.

Voila - heat on my feet.

Previously I had it set at 68 and nada. So, that is how you get the warm air to warm your feet--blast it!

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To get air on the window or on my upper body, I do not have to turn it up all the way. The foot controls are different in that even when it was on a pretting strong setting there was little to no air coming out. So it is not user error. It is a confusing design. And yes, I didn't know since I live in a mediterranean climate where I don't have to heat my feet usually.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,319 Posts
If you live in a cold clime, this is so basic that it isn't funny. The results are a combination of the system port/duct settings, the temperature and the fan speed. The desired outcome is a balance of those three and can change from minute to minute. Want air only on the windshield? Then direct it there. Feet only? Feet and body? Body only? We have settings for that.
Getting too hot? Then turn down the fan, or lower the temp, or both. It baffles me how that can be so difficult for some, and I have friends in mind when I say that, not you, suesbaru. They seem to think that in the summer when the AC is on there is only one setting - cold. The idea of modifying the temp never seems to sink in so it's either on or off, and when it's off it soon gets friggin stuffy in a car with 4 people and closed windows.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tend to keep it at 68 and assumed I would have 68 degree air on my feet, but there was no air at all so my feet were freezing even when I set it at 68 on the foot setting. Anyway...I just thought I would share as it wasn't intuitive to me.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I tend to keep it at 68 and assumed I would have 68 degree air on my feet, but there was no air at all so my feet were freezing even when I set it at 68 on the foot setting. Anyway...I just thought I would share as it wasn't intuitive to me.
So you got at least 2 out of three right if 68F on the feet is what you like. Next time, make sure you have the fan high enough too if "there was no air at all" . However, I think the sensation of comfort depends on other factors too. Your extremities might not have enough blood flow at the time, plus clothing/shoes can be a factor. So 85 might be great for your feet but too hot for the body vents - especially if you have a winter coat on. There can be a lot of factors involved in a situation; it's just that the solution is not something that most of us have to think much about.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you google "Subaru outback foot heat" you'll see I'm not alone. :) I was just trying to help anyone googling this issue...not trying to get lambasted or pilloried or any other fun word.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Yeah, I had to wonder about the last post if that's what you mean. I thought I was genuinely trying to help anyone who might be used to a warm climate (or maybe just got their first car) but found themselves in a different place.

·
Registered
10,937 Posts
If you google "Subaru outback foot heat" you'll see I'm not alone. :) I was just trying to help anyone googling this issue...not trying to get lambasted or pilloried or any other fun word.
I leave mine on AUTO and when you first get in the car the fan is on low, and it will turn on the defrost and foot (in winter). It'll stay that way until the coolant temp gets above the requested temp, and then it'll change fan speeds and source... mine ends up on foot only... the vents aren't right at your feet, more like where your shins are. Turning the temp up a bit will make the fan run higher. Some of the air is directed underneath the front seats as well, so it's not as if all the airflow goes to the front floorboards.

If you manually change the fan speed when the engine is cold, the transmission control module will act to keep the engine speed higher until the coolant warms up... which is a bit annoying, but doesn't last long... or just let it be on auto until the car warms up a bit and that's not a problem.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5i
189 Posts
This is baffling to me. I leave mine on AUTO at 68 and turn off the A/C and leave it. It does an excellent job of auto defrosting when first starting in cold weather and then switches to feet only and ramps up the fan as the car warms up (and has heat to produce for the inside of the car) and therefore doesn’t blow cold air in an already cold car. I can’t get my wife to see that turning the fan on high when the car is cold is going to get the car warmer faster. It actually works against you. I’ve never had cold feet in a Subaru.

·
Registered
691 Posts
So you didn't know how the system worked and it was user error.

Automatic Climate control doesn't work that way. You're setting the inside temp not the air coming out of the vents.

It's actually one of the reasons I hate auto climate systems. Unlike a house I want to control the air temp I feel since in a car you're so close to the source.
Unfortunatlly it's usually included when you step up from base models.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
780 Posts
If you live in a cold clime, this is so basic that it isn't funny. The results are a combination of the system port/duct settings, the temperature and the fan speed. The desired outcome is a balance of those three and can change from minute to minute. Want air only on the windshield? Then direct it there. Feet only? Feet and body? Body only? We have settings for that.
Getting too hot? Then turn down the fan, or lower the temp, or both. It baffles me how that can be so difficult for some, and I have friends in mind when I say that, not you, suesbaru. They seem to think that in the summer when the AC is on there is only one setting - cold. The idea of modifying the temp never seems to sink in so it's either on or off, and when it's off it soon gets friggin stuffy in a car with 4 people and closed windows.
Or when you see people driving with frosted up windows....
Turn the vents and defrost on!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts