Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping this is the right forum for this. If not, please let me know!

I use GPS apps on my iPhone. I have the unit mounted on the window. The apps run fine, but I can't get the voice commands to work because the phone is paired up with the Bluetooth. I would prefer not to have to go through pairing/unpairing every time I use the GPS.

Is there a way to be connected to Bluetooth (and receive phone calls) and be able to hear the voice navigation?

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2001 OBW H6 VDC
828 Posts
Are you talking about voice commands (you tell the GPS where you want to go) or turn-by-turn voice navigation (GPS tells you when/where to turn, etc)?

Which app(s) are you using?

:7:
-Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To clarify...turn by turn voice navigation. I'm using the MapQuest app. I've also tried Waze. When I'm out of the car, the turn by turn commands can be heard, but once I'm in the car and in Bluetooth territory, I can't get them.

·
Registered
2013 & 2014 Outback
278 Posts
I use my phone as a GPS. I just plug it into the media outlet like you would when using it with an MP3 player and turn the radio to AUX. Works fine and u hear the turn by turn thru the radio. You can also use that setup for phone calls also

·
Registered
557 Posts
i have a '12 premium HK and when i connect my iPhone via bluetooth i can stream music, make/receive calls and hear GPS turn-by-turn instructions from either the mapquest.app or waze.app. calls will silence all audio.

when i connect via the usb port and have the radio set to iPOD (?) i can play music. i believe i can hear turn-by-turn directions from either GPS app. phone switches to bluetooth and cuts any audio.

[edit] music and turn-by-turn are simultaneous.

joel

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
It should work fine as long as you are listening to the iPhone (as an iPod) on the car stereo. It probably doesn't matter whether the ipod and the car stereo are connected via wire or bluetooth.

The stand-alone bluetooth phone accessory can't do this, because it breaks the bluetooth connection every time you hang up the phone, but it doesn't completely disconnect. So the iPhone still thinks it is sending audio, but the bluetooth module in the car doesn't forward this to the car speaker, because it (correctly) thinks there is no phone call in progress.

Some apps allow you to break the mexican stand-off: they have the iPhone audio output control. When you hit the little triangle button, you can select which output you want that specific app to use. Phone calls will always be directed to the car's bluetooth. Not all apps are smart enough to include this super-handy feature. Apple's iPod app has it, try for yourself.

The bad news is that the iPhone's audio routing system ALWAYS sends ALL audio to the most-recently-connected output. So whenever you get in the car, you'll have to re-set the output control in your map app. It is less hassle than un-pairing and re-pairing but believe me it's still a drag to have to reset it every single time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all! I was able to figure out how to get the voice turn-by-turn. I needed to buy an audio cable to put into the headphone jack on the phone and then plug into the middle hole in the console (not the USB port or the 12V outlet). However when my husband called, the GPS directions continued during the call. He could hear them!

My next mission will be to figure out how to play music while using the GPS. But at least now I know it has to come from my iPhone. That will be tomorrow's task!

(I have the standard audio system if that matters at all.)

·
Registered
1998 OBW
164 Posts
With Waze go to Settings > Sound and at the very bottom turn "Prefer Bluetooth" to ON.

I used Waze along with TuneIn radio on my 7-hour trip to NY. I was able to listen to music, talk on the phone, and get turn-by-turn directions. When I got a phone call the music would pause and I'd still turn-by-turn directions and audio alerts.

When I used the standard radio in the car, I'd just use my bluetooth earpiece for the turn-by-turn and phonecalls. Not optimal, but it worked and saved my data usage a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts