Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I tried to adjust the parking brake via the lever adjustment, many times now and haven't been able to get it to the proper amount of clicks (6-8).

yesterday when I did the adjustment the final time via the console the brakes would not disengage, the car definitley had major resistance to moving even with the handle completely down.

I was able to unstick the brake so it definitley seems that something is wrong with the cable.

However I cannot find any youtube videos or forum posts (I tried searching a lot!) to guide me in this process...

Help!

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,839 Posts
well, dunno if something is wrong or not, but the correct adjustment for p-brake wear is the 'star' adjusters at each rear wheel.

many folks seem to want to use the console adjustment for p-brake adjustment but I think it really is only intended for cable stretch adjustment.

try a search for parking brake/emergency brake adjustment.

·
Registered
'98 Outback
246 Posts
Here's an illustrated blow-up of the cables with part numbers.

If you haven't worked on brakes, replacing brake parts is a critical procedure, much more important than drive train work. If you screw up in the drive train, the car stops. If you screw up in the brakes, it might not. I wouldn't recommend learning how to do it from YouTube. See if you can get some help and oversight from an experienced mechanic in exchange for beers and steaks. At least have someone check your work before you drive.

If you have brake experience, I would first jack up each rear wheel to determine which side is having the problem, then remove that caliper and rotor (assuming disc brakes) to eliminate a problem with the adjuster. And you'll have access to the cable end for inspection. (Removing the rotor make take a couple of tricks including loosening the adjuster from behind and using screws to push it off the hub.)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, dunno if something is wrong or not, but the correct adjustment for p-brake wear is the 'star' adjusters at each rear wheel.

many folks seem to want to use the console adjustment for p-brake adjustment but I think it really is only intended for cable stretch adjustment.

try a search for parking brake/emergency brake adjustment.
Yes, i've seen this adjustment and read about it, this would be a seperate issue once I figure out the parking cable being seized/not returning properly?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's an illustrated blow-up of the cables with part numbers.

If you haven't worked on brakes, replacing brake parts is a critical procedure, much more important than drive train work. If you screw up in the drive train, the car stops. If you screw up in the brakes, it might not. I wouldn't recommend learning how to do it from YouTube. See if you can get some help and oversight from an experienced mechanic in exchange for beers and steaks. At least have someone check your work before you drive.

If you have brake experience, I would first jack up each rear wheel to determine which side is having the problem, then remove that caliper and rotor (assuming disc brakes) to eliminate a problem with the adjuster. And you'll have access to the cable end for inspection. (Removing the rotor make take a couple of tricks including loosening the adjuster from behind and using screws to push it off the hub.)
I was under the impression that the parking brake system is seperate
from the regular rear brake system, in my particular outback?

Right now i'm leaving it in gear to stop the car from moving when parked. Have not been using the parking brake at all lest it becomes stuck again --

·
Registered
'98 Outback
246 Posts
I was under the impression that the parking brake system is seperate
from the regular rear brake system, in my particular outback?-
You'll need to remove the service brake caliper and rotor to access the parking brake system. If you have experience with that you should be good.

You may not need to do that, but it's where I would start. I also suspect a problem with the self-adjusting mechanism. It's easy to check.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,839 Posts
there is no self-adjusting mechanism - there is a 'star' adjustment behind an oval rubber plug on the dust shield.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts