Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an Outback last year and really like it. Every Thanksgiving we go to Yosemite for a few days. Since you can't put chains on the Outback how do you handle the chains required days? Even jeeps are supposed to carry chains during certain conditions I believe. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
210 Posts
During the winter months motorists may encounter traction device controls in the mountain areas of California. When chain controls are established signs along side the road will be opened indicating the type of requirement. There are three requirements in California.

Requirement One (R1): Chains are required, snow tires are allowed.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive vehicles with snow tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

If the road is R2 you don't need chains, only winter tires.
If the road is R3, buy a Jeep (or another 4WD vehicle that can use chains - most do).

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
If chains are required on AWD vehicles with winter tires, it is a good time to stay home or turn around. Some conditions are not worth the risk. JMHO.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yosemite is a National Park so the rules are a little different. During winter months you need to have chains in your vehicle, regardless of it's capabilities. Rangers can, and do, ask to see them. While I was living in California I had a nature photography business that had me in the park 60 days a year. I've had to show my chains several times and have seen folks turned away because they didnt' have them. That said, there was only one time I saw it hit R3 and it was only for a few hours. You'll need to have them in the car but it's unlikely you'll need them.

Your best bet would be to pick some up from a store that allows returns and take them back when you're done with your trip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate the advice. I do have a Jeep so thats the answer. Bluecorn suggested cables but I was under the impression they shouldn't be used either. They worked fine on a Mazda CX9,the car I traded in for the Outback. Are cables ok? Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Madmxe
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing