Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Newbie here. I just purchased an 06 obxt and I love it. What a great engine, but.... the downside is poor gas mileage. Even when I lay off the turbo and drive very conservatively I am pulling in around 18 mpg. I also noticed that when the gas mileage readout is in real time mode I get 5 mpg in 1st and 2nd gear and that's being very light on the throttle. Anybody else get the same or different results in 1st and 2nd gear?

The car was purchased used so I don't know what type of mods have been done. There is so much power, too much for the suspension I think, is there a way to tune the down to get better fuel economy? Blasphemy? I hope not.

Thanks a lot for your input.

JMart

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
The readout on the dash is not accurate. It's usually not too far off, but it isn't totally accurate.

The instant MPG will always lag current conditions.

XTs were built to burn gas. Every design comes with decisions and compromises, and with the Subaru GT/XT platform they decided that MPG would lose to everything else.

With very conservative driving I can get 26mpg out of mine. With normal driving it's usually down to 20ish. When I want to go fast it is worse. Much worse. :)

You could potentially modify & retune the car for better MPG, but it's a lot of work with a lot of weird consequences. It's always proven cheaper to trade in for a normally-aspirated version.

There is an off-the-shelf tune for max MPG available with the cobb accessport, but a few of my friends have tried it and said it made the car no fun and only recovered a few MPG.

Have a look at the 2005-2009 suspension thread, you'll probably get a few ideas for how to clean up that facet of the car.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
^ what he said - the Turbo XT is designed to burn fuel and run crazy hard. Keep the cold morning warm up idle time as short as you can - and go very easy on the car till it is warmed up. This will help any cars MPG in the winter time given idle time is the killer of mileage, going super easy on it till it warms up though is very important with the turbos given they need to warm up before you start pushing them.

Obviously speed impacts mileage keep it 70mph and under on the highway given anything faster wipes out your mileage with any car simply the laws of physics regarding drag etc.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
Wrong car if you want fuel economy.

Requires premium fuel, synthetic oil, turbo, AWD...nope. Not gonna get much better than you have right now.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Lower rolling resistance tires, premium fuel, full synthetic oil, a light throttle foot, keep the AC on low, etc.

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
I don't live in an area with much weather to contend with so I opted for Ecopia tires on mine. It made about 1.5mpg difference, in town.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
No roof rack gear!!! If your not using it take it off the car. Always cracks me up when I see people drive around with roof gear on their car which they clearly are not using like say ski rack fittings during the summer time. The baskets will give you a 5mpg hit as they are the worst for this. Boxes run 2-3mpg pending speeds. No rack and your golden.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
You may also want to retract your cross bars. Those create drag as well.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
And most importantly, light on the brakes. Fuel efficiency is largely degraded by two things

1) Keeping the mass at a constant speed
2) getting the mass from speed 1 to speed 2

1) is related to wind resistance, rolling resistance or 'other' resistance (bearings?) Wind resistance goes like the square of velocity, so the faster you drive, the worse it is. Below about 55 you shouldn't notice much of an impact though. Rolling resistance can be helped with LRR tires as mentioned. Do you have a growl at speed? You could have a bad bearing slowing you down.

With regard to 2) the more you keep off the brakes, the better you will do. How quickly you go from speed 1 to speed 2 is a small effect on efficiency.

Our 05 XT gets from 21 when my wife is really sticking her foot in it to 27 when I am babying it on the highway (rarely!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts