Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Blue; Sold 2011 Outback 2.5L CVT Steel Silver Metallic
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, Quick question: Am nearing a 105K miles and looking to trade-in. Will I get a better price from the dealer if I get the serpentine belt replaced?

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Generally no. You recover pennies on the dollar for work done shortly before trade-in.

Exception: repairs that make an unsaleable vehicle saleable again. But in this case they won't have any problem selling a car that needs a belt immediately, so they won't put much value on you doing that maintenance.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
601 Posts
Ball State?

I agree with Rasterman.

Given how popular these cars are, you might be able to sell it outright and not take a beating at the dealership.

They may juggle the figures around to make you feel better but who do you think really gets the good deal?

There is a classified section on this forum!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Now.. if you have the TIMING BELT done, that's a whole other story...
Actually it's not; I'm already assuming OP means the timing belt.

You might rightfully value a timing belt done on schedule when you look for a used car, but as a trade it's relatively worthless.

Look at it this way: the dealer's dream is to buy OP's car for cheap, have lots of room to mark it up for resale, and then have that eventual buyer bring it into their service department to pay to put a new belt in. That's the ultimate triple play for them.

Another perspective: If they take in car x on a trade and it needs a timing belt, AND the buyer demands that it get a new belt as a condition of sale, they will do that work at cost n, much lower than retail.

Therefore, when car y is presented for trade-in with a brand new belt, the the difference offered is never going to be more than n.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Nope. Only way to increase sale value is to have a local guy do the major timing belt service for $800-$900 drive it a few more yrs then do a private sale.

Dealer gives you below lowest market value then flips it for over the highest market value probably with no more than a 5 min wash job. New buyers problem regarding timing belt. Hence the “As Is” sticker in the window on any car over 60,000 on a dealer lot.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Given how popular these cars are, you might be able to sell it outright and not take a beating at the dealership.
Probably the best advice in here.

If you want to maximize the money out of it, do the work and sell it yourself. Trade offers are almost universally lower than what you can net selling it out of your driveway.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6 '15 XV
89 Posts
Yes, you would waste your money to put a new belt on the car. It's worth the same either way to the dealer.

This is what is worth more: Wash it.

Extra credit: Vacuum it. Clean the windows. Fix the door dings. Throw out the old magazines in the footwell. Run a damp towel over the interior. Take off the 'Vote for ___' sticker. The baby on board sticker and the stick family stickers. Take the old soda can out from under the driver's seat. Stop smoking.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,861 Posts
Yes, you would waste your money to put a new belt on the car. It's worth the same either way to the dealer.

This is what is worth more: Wash it.

Extra credit: Vacuum it. Clean the windows. Fix the door dings. Throw out the old magazines in the footwell. Run a damp towel over the interior. Take off the 'Vote for ___' sticker. The baby on board sticker and the stick family stickers. Take the old soda can out from under the driver's seat. Stop smoking.
If I did all that work I would probably want to keep it.:laugh:

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Folks, Quick question: Am nearing a 105K miles and looking to trade-in. Will I get a better price from the dealer if I get the serpentine belt replaced?
Probably not. Over 100k, your vehicle will most likely end up going to auction. Dealer's buyers know exactly what your vehicle should bring at auction.

If you go the private sale route, a timing belt service will add some value to your car.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
601 Posts
I didn't see if you mentioned if this is a H4 or H6?

You should post the car on the classifieds here on the forum! Lot's of Soobie fans who aren't afraid of a 100K vehicle!

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,104 Posts
My limited experience with dealers and trade-ins would say the outstanding major maintenance can only hurt the value but spending the money to get it done is not likely to help.
Huh?
If the dealer is savvy enough to know the major maintenance is due and asks if it has been done, the best case is you had the work done and they do not reduce their offer to you. You don't get a better offer, just fair market. And if you didn't have it done, they knock down the offer.

If the dealer doesn't know and doesn't ask, then any money you spent getting it done is just sunk cost.
However, if you volunteer it, the best case is they say it was expected to be done and if it wasn't they would have to reduce their offer. The worst case might be if you didn't have it done at an authorized service center, they may claim it has to be done again to assure it was done right and knock that amount off the offer.

See how it always benefits the dealer and never you?
This is why I have limited experience with trade-ins. I just don't do it.

Good luck to you.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
Reactions: bsu4phd

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
One thing to also consider are tax implications.

If you trade, you are taxed on the net amount. Meaning if your new ride is 25k and your OB trades for 10k, you pay tax on 15k.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Boise State!

Ball State?

I agree with Rasterman.

They may juggle the figures around to make you feel better but who do you think really gets the good deal?

There is a classified section on this forum!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all for the replies and input! They make a lot of sense.

Will check out the classifieds here. It's been a great car. Just looking for some added safety features in a 2018.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
Reactions: bheinen74

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,170 Posts
If one owns a car outright NEVER EVER trade it in. Put on Craigslist, Ebay, your local vacant lot first. NEVEr take it to a dealer for trade.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
458 Posts
One thing to also consider are tax implications.

If you trade, you are taxed on the net amount. Meaning if your new ride is 25k and your OB trades for 10k, you pay tax on 15k.
Here in Massachusetts, that $10K trade would have saved over $600 in sales tax. But the more important question is whether the owner could have gotten another $1-$2K more if he had sold it himself.

Ultimately the choice depends on the condition of the vehicle, local demand, dealer's used inventory, degree of hassle the owner wants to put up with, etc.

As a buyer, you have the opportunity to use the trade-in as a potential negotiating point without any obligation to take their offer. When I was buying my OB, after haggling with the sales guy over the price of the new car, I let the dealer make me a trade-in offer on my old car. I told the sales guy the trade-in value they were offering was way too low, so I was going to look around some more. I left the dealer, and an hour later I got an email from the him that they would raise the trade-in offer another $800. That, combined with the sales tax savings put the trade-in value within about a hundred bucks of what I would have wanted to get for it if I had sold it myself. So I traded it in.

On the other hand, when I had bought the prior car (new), I posted the one I already had at the time on Craigslist. I listed it for $500 more than I expected to get for it. Within a week I had three people come and look at it, and the last guy offered me the full listed price. So I sold it myself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.