Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy,

After searching the archives here, I've decided to get an OEM hood shield/rock deflector for my new used '05 Outback. I'm not a shop machinist kind-o guy, but I'm reasonably capable with hand tools. I've also read a slew of old posts re. laying down a 3m strip first to avoid finish damage and not using the foam piece, yadda-yadda. I have not yet purchased the deflector but want to ASAP.

So, I would really appreciate if those with experience would please tell me:

1) Is it better to just have it installed by my friendly dealer or is it fairly straight forward for a DIY? I can't afford to mess up my paint, etc.
and

2) If the latter - I would really love to have step by step "How to install" detailed directions from your experience or a link to someone's DIY video. and I couldn't find one specific to the '05 Outback.

thanks all

·
Registered
08 OB 3.0R Beaner
414 Posts
Windshields don't last more than a couple months on the roads I drive and was thinking of doing the same thing on my next windshield replacement. How did the install go? Any noticeable difference? Noise? Fuel use?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Windshields don't last more than a couple months on the roads I drive and was thinking of doing the same thing on my next windshield replacement. How did the install go? Any noticeable difference? Noise? Fuel use?
I just wanted to send you this link as you stated you only get a few months with a windshield. I would try this but not a dealer around this part of country to do it, and if you mention it to a glass place they cringe at the thought of lost revenue from this.

Welcome - ClearPlex

·
Registered
304 Posts
howdy,

After searching the archives here, I've decided to get an OEM hood shield/rock deflector for my new used '05 Outback. I'm not a shop machinist kind-o guy, but I'm reasonably capable with hand tools. I've also read a slew of old posts re. laying down a 3m strip first to avoid finish damage and not using the foam piece, yadda-yadda. I have not yet purchased the deflector but want to ASAP.

So, I would really appreciate if those with experience would please tell me:

1) Is it better to just have it installed by my friendly dealer or is it fairly straight forward for a DIY? I can't afford to mess up my paint, etc.
and

2) If the latter - I would really love to have step by step "How to install" detailed directions from your experience or a link to someone's DIY video. and I couldn't find one specific to the '05 Outback.

thanks all
I have an 08 and the hood is different but installing it was easy and less than 30min. The instructions that come with the one from Subaru are made for a non-diy person or experienced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This has been and is a freakin' nightmare. I was missing a part in my kit, so were all the kits at the dealership that sold it to me - and so were are all the ones at Subaru America. It took me weeks just to get the dang thing.

So, today - I go to install it.
I have no idea from what nation the creators/writers/animators who did these stupid instructions are from - but this is a nightmare. I'm not stupid, have put together lots of kits/things/DIYs - but these directions are total crap. A pathetic joke - unless you are the guy who drew them up.

And I have needed this thing to be on my car weeks ago for a long business trip tomorrow - and I'm screwed.

I am sincerely disappointed with Subaru on this one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts