Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that when I turn the headlights on, the dashboard lights go dim.

According to the docs, if I have it cranked to maximum it's not supposed to happen. How can I keep the dashboard lights at maximum?

Doc:
"When the control dial is turned fully upward, the illumination brightness becomes the maximum and the automatic dimming function does not work at all."

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
724 Posts
Turn up the brightness control until it clicks

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turn up the brightness control until it clicks
I pushed up to the max indent firmly assuming the last indent was a kind of switch.

Great, the dashboard lights remained at full brightness with the headlights on. But then I couldn't lower the dashboard lights with either the headlights on or off. They stayed at full brightness.

But, driving on the way home, I could set the brightness to any level I wanted and the auto dimming didn't work.

So I don't know what the f*** is going on. :smile2:

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
724 Posts
I don't see the fine points explained in the manual, but from my observation it appears that the dash lights stay on full bright when the daylight sensor sees it's bright outside. On a hazy day, I turn on the headlights to get the tail lights to be more visible. But the dash lights stay bright. Then as the sun sets, the dash lights dim to my dimmed setting.
because they could...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But the dash lights stay bright.
On a bright day, when I turn the headlights on, the dash lights go dim...sometimes.

When I get the first major service at the dealer, I'll have them look at it. It's certainly not worth disassembling the dashboard.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
I don't see the fine points explained in the manual, but from my observation it appears that the dash lights stay on full bright when the daylight sensor sees it's bright outside. On a hazy day, I turn on the headlights to get the tail lights to be more visible. But the dash lights stay bright. Then as the sun sets, the dash lights dim to my dimmed setting.
because they could...
This appears to match the behavior I have observed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts