Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,451 Posts
Yes I saw that thread and it's the one I was remembering.

The draw is there but only up to alikely max of 1.0 for the hatch and if you add interior lights that are on, doors that are open and play some tunes, I can see the battery draining after a number of hours.

I think the best working solution is to replace the interior and puddle lights with LEDs, don't go crazy with the radio but in the end, have a jump pack.
I have LED puddle lights (dim red ones) and usually leave the interior lights that can be turned off, turned off. As far as I know, those other interior lights I have no control over (armrests, keyhole) are LEDs. It's the systems that are activated whenever a door or hatch is opened that slurp up that additional ampere of current, not the cabin lights. Cabin lights, especially if they were incandescents, would be on top of that. I don't think having additional doors or the hatch open changes much - the big difference is if any one of them is open.

"Playing tunes" involves activating another couple of levels of systems because the key has to be inserted (one) and in the Acc position (two), so will likely use more current than just the power the radio consumes. I should probably test how much inserting the key, then turning it to Acc, then turning on the radio, cost - thanks for the idea!

These days, a jump pack is not a bad idea. Keep it charged, though, so it will work when you need it!

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
hmm, we bought our 18 after the end of the drive-in season, but if I'm reading this correctly, I should expect the car to be dead if we leave the tailgate open for a typical 6-7 drive-in stint? That seems a little ridiculous.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,238 Posts
I think it has been said, but the motor holds the tailgate in the up position. It draws power at all times when up. It ran my battery down when i left it up all night in my garage. I believe the cargo light was off.

·
Registered
2018 2.5 premium.
30 Posts
[
I recall the solution being mentioned in those battery threads either to a) don't leave the hatch open for extended periods or b) use a carabiner to trick the car into thinking it is closed by shoving it in the slot. I gather the side effect of option b is that you have to manually close the hatch, forcing the motor down.

I have tried to stick with option (a) because it is less hassle.

Yes I would flip the latch in the hatch and wait a few minutes to see if that turned the lights and other systems off. Just remember to release and open the latch before closing. (it could be a costly oversite.)

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,451 Posts
I think it has been said, but the motor holds the tailgate in the up position.
It's been said, but it's wrong.

Leaving the hatch open has the same unfortunate effect as leaving any of the doors open. It causes the car to draw a lot more current from the battery than it would if all the doors and hatch were closed.

The real solution appears to be to fool the system into thinking the hatch is closed, defeat the door-open sensor switches, or both, depending on what you want to leave open for extended time.

It draws power at all times when up. It ran my battery down when i left it up all night in my garage. I believe the cargo light was off.
This it true, but it isn't the motor that's causing this. It's most likely the car's computer, which "wakes up" from a low-power state when the hatch or any door is opened.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,238 Posts
It's been said, but it's wrong.

Leaving the hatch open has the same unfortunate effect as leaving any of the doors open. It causes the car to draw a lot more current from the battery than it would if all the doors and hatch were closed.

The real solution appears to be to fool the system into thinking the hatch is closed, defeat the door-open sensor switches, or both, depending on what you want to leave open for extended time.

This it true, but it isn't the motor that's causing this. It's most likely the car's computer, which "wakes up" from a low-power state when the hatch or any door is opened.
So what is holding the tailgate up? Are the struts holding up after it is raised? Could be? I never thought of it that way?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
hmm, we bought our 18 after the end of the drive-in season, but if I'm reading this correctly, I should expect the car to be dead if we leave the tailgate open for a typical 6-7 drive-in stint? That seems a little ridiculous.
There are still drive-in theaters? Haven't seen one around here in a good 20 years.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,451 Posts
There are still drive-in theaters? Haven't seen one around here in a good 20 years.
They still exist, but are pretty rare.

We have a popular, still operating drive-in in Tulsa that features TWO screens back to back. Admiral Twin (it's on Admiral Blvd.) Note the warning about using your car's FM radio for the soundtrack and availability - with limitations - of complementary jump starts! This is a topic near and dear to the Gen-V crowd!

It was featured in the 1983 Francis Ford Coppola film "The Outsiders", a local cult classic featuring a cast of young, soon-to-be stars. The wood structure supporting the screens burned to the ground almost a decade ago, but because it was a local icon and still popular, it was rebuilt and is running again.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
There are a few around new england and for most of them you want to get there well before the show, because virtually every show I've been to sells out.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
1,706 Posts
Two of them in Dutchess County, and we go a few times each summer.

·
Registered
855 Posts
What angers me is that they describe the automatic light timer that turns off those lamps as a great feature, yet the battery is draining and the next morning could be dead.
2 days ago I found the hatch open in my garage (probably the button on the fob in my pocket got pushed the day before). Luckily it was around 45 degrees and the car started, although cranking slowly. If it had been 10 degrees or less I would have had a no start situation. Luckily I've learned this lesson before and have a good start booster batt in the car to hook up.

This problem should be fixed under a recall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me Too!

I have a new Ascent and was shocked to discover this issue. It ticked me off too that they make a point of saying to bring the key fob with you to avoid battery drain and don’t mention this problem. I am a dog person too and routinely leave the back open for long periods of time (training, camping, hunt tests etc). I have a tailgate bar that clips into the rear gate latch and this does not fix the problem. I’ve been told by the local Subaru guy that it is the pressure sensors keeping the computer awake. Darn it Subaru, I don’t need a car with anxiety issues - go to sleep and wake up when it’s time to drive!

What angers me is that they describe the automatic light timer that turns off those lamps as a great feature, yet the battery is draining and the next morning could be dead.
2 days ago I found the hatch open in my garage (probably the button on the fob in my pocket got pushed the day before). Luckily it was around 45 degrees and the car started, although cranking slowly. If it had been 10 degrees or less I would have had a no start situation. Luckily I've learned this lesson before and have a good start booster batt in the car to hook up.

This problem should be fixed under a recall.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,944 Posts
...I have a tailgate bar that clips into the rear gate latch and this does not fix the problem. I’ve been told by the local Subaru guy that it is the pressure sensors keeping the computer awake. Darn it Subaru, I don’t need a car with anxiety issues - go to sleep and wake up when it’s time to drive!
Have you tried what I described in this post? No tools required, a key works fine:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/394490-battery-dies-hatch-open-position-freezing-rain-3.html#post4578402

·
Registered
46 Posts
When the salesman and his manager were demonstrating the features of the OB lift gate, I asked him if I could lower it by hand. He said, "I suppose so, but why would you want to do that?" I told him that is how I've been doing it all my life.

This discussion highlights my fears of all the electronic (stuff?) in my limited. I know it's going to bite me in the future.

Beary

His question is directly a symptom of what i don't get about Subaru as a company .. they want to be a "outdoor" lifestyle vehicle and keep doing dumb designs that work against this. It's like they never actually took their car camping! AWD off road .. no real spare. Camping somewhere .. want to keep the tailgate open .. nope. Keyless entry code .. nobody at the dealership knew how to program it .. had never done it. Sigh.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,944 Posts
No surprise to me, dealerships just don't seem to attract intelligent employees, but that's the case with any automaker (particularly in the non-luxury segment).

No full-sized spare: this buys you 3 more gallons of fuel capacity (Aussie model has a full spare in exchange for a 15.8 gallon tank)
Leave tailgate open: actually, yup, just do a little research and you can leave it open till your heart's content
Pin code: it's not rocket science - at least they offer this feature, which is pretty unique
Auto liftgate can be converted to manual, just look it up

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
596 Posts
2 days ago I found the hatch open in my garage (probably the button on the fob in my pocket got pushed the day before) .

That just happened to me. I forgot to close the hatch after unloading and the battery was completely dead the next day. An hour on the charger was enough to get it going.

It's scary because I've heard it reduces the life of the battery and we have some cold....I mean COLD...I mean COLD weather coming. I don't want to be the schmuck standing by his car with the hood open holding jumper cables at -5F.

·
Registered
855 Posts
That just happened to me. I forgot to close the hatch after unloading and the battery was completely dead the next day. An hour on the charger was enough to get it going.

It's scary because I've heard it reduces the life of the battery and we have some cold....I mean COLD...I mean COLD weather coming. I don't want to be the schmuck standing by his car with the hood open holding jumper cables at -5F.

I now have one of these in both cars. Never worry again. $100. Plus it's a great flashlight and can charge tablets and phones. Read the reviews.
NOCO Black Genius Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Black Outback
168 Posts
I now have one of these in both cars. Never worry again. $100. Plus it's a great flashlight and can charge tablets and phones. Read the reviews.
NOCO Black Genius Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter

You sold me on getting one of these for a just in case scenerio. Just a question on this specific product. Do you attach both the positive and negative clamps to the battery with this device? I was always under the impression one of the negatives needs to be grounded and attached to a piece of metal.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts