Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5 with 5 Speed
143 Posts

·
Registered
01 LL Bean
135 Posts
Just the site I would have sent him to. It's chuck full of information as well as how to program them.

99-01

02-04

I had one already for my 01 Outback, but I purchased one for my Fiance's 03 Baja direct from the dealer for under 50 bucks IIRC. At the time I had no idea how to program them, and they did it for free.
I have an 01 and purchased the remote with colored buttons. It works fine with my 01...

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
The 2005 remote (teardrop style) will work as well. Just throwing that out there since I think it's better looking than that other ones. I bought one off eBay when I had my 2004 and it programmed without a problem.

EDIT:

This is what I'm talking about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2005-20...005|Model:Outback&hash=item3a787fc90c&vxp=mtr

I had found one without the trunk release button for mine. There's a possibility that the trunk release would work anyway. On my 2008, I have a button to unlock just the rear hatch.

Come to think of it, I bought one of these for my mom's '01 Limited and it programmed for that too.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,922 Posts
I assume that you bought your OBW used? It is always possible that you were not given the remote fobs because the system was either disabled, defective or missing.
IIRC, I saw the remote receiver box tucked up in the right corner of the dash behind the glove box last time I changed the cabin air filter. You might want to go looking and see if it is there and connected.

I remember that it was optional and could be added to the Legacy L that I was originally thinking about, but was standard on the OBW. I think that was one of the items that I used for justifying the extra cost between the two models. So hopefully you will find it there.

If the system was left in Valet mode, it will not enter into Program mode (keeps the attendant from capturing your code). I have no idea how you would easily break this if that was the case. It is possible that there might be a "RESET" pinhole switch on the box for just these kinds of incidents.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited, Manual Transmission
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I assume that you bought your OBW used? It is always possible that you were not given the remote fobs because the system was either disabled, defective or missing.
IIRC, I saw the remote receiver box tucked up in the right corner of the dash behind the glove box last time I changed the cabin air filter. You might want to go looking and see if it is there and connected.

I remember that it was optional and could be added to the Legacy L that I was originally thinking about, but was standard on the OBW. I think that was one of the items that I used for justifying the extra cost between the two models. So hopefully you will find it there.

If the system was left in Valet mode, it will not enter into Program mode (keeps the attendant from capturing your code). I have no idea how you would easily break this if that was the case. It is possible that there might be a "RESET" pinhole switch on the box for just these kinds of incidents.
Interesting.... I didn't think about that, but would assume mine has this feature since it is a Limited with all the other fanciness.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Then for sure it came equipped. I bought a base model. So if it won't go into program mode you need to see if the box is still there, and how to regain control.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Gee, being a packrat sometimes pays off. Look what I found!

Legacy Keyless Entry

This should help you find the box, and hopefully a reset switch.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited, Manual Transmission
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gee, being a packrat sometimes pays off. Look what I found!

Legacy Keyless Entry

This should help you find the box, and hopefully a reset switch.
Awesome!

I'll have to give that a go and see what I can find.

Lots of work for just a remote. hahaha

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I just gave it a try on my OBW to see for myself. Years back I picked up a spare remote and recently had a key cut for my new driver daughter, so your post prompted me to get the remote programmed.

If you use Joe Spitz's instructions, just make sure that you follow the 'detailed' version and not just the basic comments he lists in the paragraph above them. It failed me the first time, but I don't think I completed the 10 cycles fast enough. It's hard to do it in the required 15 seconds. But the second time I got the confirmation, and it worked.

If you really can't do it, it's probably time to order a cabin air filter (hey, you might as well get both jobs done at once!!) and go at it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts