Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I just ordered the 2020 Outback Touring, and the dealership can't seem to answer this question for me. Does anyone know if there will be a way to PERMANENTLY disable the auto on/off feature (when it turns the engine off when stopped rather than idling)? I test drove the Forrester and I found the auto on/off feature to be really distracting/annoying, and apparently on early models you have to manually turn it off each time you drive. Would appreciate any insight you may have! Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
143 Posts
See: https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/stop-start-with-2-4t-in-2020-ob.513143/

This post has lots of details. There is no known way to permanently disable SS without modifying the car probably. Look at my post in that thread, where I list all the conditions in which SS will work. Think about how many important sensors need to work together to make this thing go. The 2020 Outback is loaded with sensors and computer systems. Modifying the car may have unintended consequences, decrease safety, and potentially void a warranty.

You can temporarily disable SS with little hassle (turning on the rear defrost, for example). My plan for the 2020 is to drive with it on for two months to see if I can get used to it, and learn how to better control its activation with brake pressure and steering. I've been told by 2019 owners that this is pretty easy to tame with some practice.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
143 Posts
Patiently waiting for shrinks to come up with a name for the phobia of being scared of auto stop/start.
I think it would be diasalevophobia - An irrational fear of things starting-up & shuddering. This is a previously undocumented phobia. Psychologists are confused by the sudden rash of cases.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 2.5i
251 Posts
It's very simple. In my test drive it was apparent th that start stop would not engage with normally applied brake pressure. I had to get to a light and then push the pedal a bit harder to get it to stop, I had a VW rental that behaved the same.

·
Registered
'17 Outback 3.6R Limited, '05 Forester
117 Posts
A few months back, I got upgraded to a Cadillac XT5 as a rental due to them not having a car in the class I had booked. There is a button to defeat the Start/Stop on the dash but you have to remember to press it after you start the car every time.

Instead, the guy at the rental agency said to put it in manual when you come to a stop. This prevents the engine stopping when you're not moving. Is this better than remembering to press the SS button? I doubt it but it's another way to look at it.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
A few months back, I got upgraded to a Cadillac XT5 as a rental due to them not having a car in the class I had booked. There is a button to defeat the Start/Stop on the dash but you have to remember to press it after you start the car every time.

Instead, the guy at the rental agency said to put it in manual when you come to a stop. This prevents the engine stopping when you're not moving. Is this better than remembering to press the SS button? I doubt it but it's another way to look at it.
Are you sure it was an XT5? I have had XT5's twice while my CTS was in the shop. Neither had an S/S override button.

My understanding is it is the only model Cadillac without an override button.

·
Registered
'17 Outback 3.6R Limited, '05 Forester
117 Posts
Are you sure it was an XT5? I have had XT5's twice while my CTS was in the shop. Neither had an S/S override button.

My understanding is it is the only model Cadillac without an override button.
I could be wrong. It was a Cadillac - very plush and powerful. I couldn't remember the model so just looked up Cadillac start/Stop and picked the first car that looked like the one I had.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,186 Posts
Patiently waiting for shrinks to come up with a name for the phobia of being scared of auto stop/start.
Next thing you know, this same group will be demanding that electric vehicles "idle" the electric motor at a stoplight, just to assure it canl start out again. Which would require clutching, of course, and all of the design headaches that brings along with it.

Ridiculous? Yes. But it's the same line of thought involved.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,344 Posts
Next thing you know, this same group will be demanding that electric vehicles "idle" the electric motor at a stoplight, just to assure it canl start out again. Which would require clutching, of course, and all of the design headaches that brings along with it.

Ridiculous? Yes. Same line of thought? No. Not at all.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,510 Posts

When the Outback eventually goes all electric there will be some who complain how weird it feels so Subaru will add in fake shift points on those as well.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
When the Outback eventually goes all electric there will be some who complain how weird it feels so Subaru will add in fake shift points on those as well.
Manufacturers are already on top of it, and no, it doesn't involve any any gearing, shifting, or anything else mechanical:

·
Registered
3,145 Posts

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Same line of thought? No. Not at all.
It's really just a matter of the simplicity of the startup mechanisms to get things rolling.

Electric motors are capable of a reliable startup from zero rpm, and this can involve only electronics, not mechanically engaged mechanisms. But they have been thatway since their beginnings in 1832, and we simply take it for granted that that is how they should be operated.

Likewise for the old-fashioned external combustion steam engines, albeit with the boiler still operating, of course. The operator just opens the steam valve / throttle control, and puts pressure to the pistons.

It helps that both of these technologies achieve maximum torque at zero rpm, so no clutching is required for the purposes of starting things up.

In contrast, internal combustion engines have a very late start at this concept, and like any new technology, will have some growing pains. The best of it is, in my opinion, Toyota's hybrid synergy system, where it uses the momentum of the vehicle and drivetrain to bump start the engine, so there's no starter motor, pinion and flywheel gears. It's smooth, it's been proven very reliable over 25 years of production, and it's pretty well accepted. Others haven't done as well, I'll acknowledge.

So yes, I'm being a bit forward looking here and hoping that other manufacturers can do better than what they now offer in S/S. And I know they will. But I will still argue that it really is the same line of thought.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm about a month into owning a 2020 Outback and the auto on-off is driving me slightly bonkers.

It's actually been annoying me more over time, not less. For one thing, I bought the car primarily to be an enormously safe first car for a turning 16 kid. Every time the auto on/off happens while she's sitting there making front-of-brain choices at an intersection (or when she pushes on the accelerator to start and the car doesn't actually start immediately but with a little delay) she's distracted and surprised and "what was that". It's the exact opposite of safe.

Personally I've been finding it frustrating because I've now become a lame "latent" driver in freeway traffic. When the car in front of me starts driving again instead of gracefully and quickly following it, there's this little hiccup while it pulls away (the Outback puts up a little "the vehicle in front of you has moved!" sign, very helpful, yes, I know that, I'm trying to follow it, arrrrrrg) and the car behind me has to wait while I get rolling again. If everyone in the traffic jam had this "feature" the time between the "first" car heading forward and the "last" would be enormous.

And as near as I can tell it's doing almost no good for the planet. According to the little measure thing I've saved right about a gallon of gas while driving 1000 miles. Apparently that's roughly 20 lbs of CO2. A little web research suggests I could offset that (paying to plant trees) for 9 cents. Lets say the car makes it to 200,000 miles. 4000 lbs of CO2. A little under $20 worth of carbon offset. So. Charge me $20 to plant some trees and let me disable the auto stop. I would pay it in an instant.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Every time the auto on/off happens while she's sitting there making front-of-brain choices at an intersection (or when she pushes on the accelerator to start and the car doesn't actually start immediately but with a little delay) she's distracted and surprised and "what was that". It's the exact opposite of safe.
Then maybe she is not ready to drive. By the time her foot gets from the brake to the accelerator, the engine is already running.

Learning to drive with stop/start tech is the future and part of the learning process.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,325 Posts
I think I have read that SS is disabled when towing if the brake harness is connected? If so, if you can create a 'load' for the trailer harness to simulate trailer brakes...that may work.
I have also read it may be a bad idea if the car is designed to alter shift points or handling/braking parameters when a trailer is 'detected'.

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean 3.0
38 Posts
Man am I glad my 2005 is still a Level 0 car. I don't get the desire to own something so expensive and so new if you're just going to get annoyed with how it was engineered.

On the other hand, I'd probably be one of those "I just want a faster horse" people Henry Ford was always talking about.

1 - 20 of 207 Posts