Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Last month I bought pre-owned 2015 Outback 2.5L Limited.
I have noticed that there is NO any audio or visual warning signs for seat belt not buckled.

After little research I came to know that it is easy to disable seatbelt warning chime, but I could not find a way to reverse it.
I want to re enable warning signs both on the dash board - visually and audio chime for safety.

Can anyone share some knowledge how to do that?

TIA

Harry

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
231 Posts
If you don't mind losing radio settings and the like on my 2005 you can reset it by just pulling the battery for a few minutes.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,166 Posts
Yeah, I think disconnecting the battery is the only way. I tried repeating the disable process (which, IIRC, would have restored the chime on my old Subaru) and it had no effect on my Gen 5.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there,

Thanks for quick reply.
I dont mind loosing Radio settings. But just want to know few things.

1. How long I need to disconnect battery to reset it (5 minutes, 10 mins or ...?)

2. Other than Radio setting reset, what effect will be there if I disconnect the battery?

Thanks

Harry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't mind losing radio settings and the like on my 2005 you can reset it by just pulling the battery for a few minutes.

Hi there,

Thanks for quick reply.
I dont mind loosing Radio settings. But just want to know few things.

1. How long I need to disconnect battery to reset it (5 minutes, 10 mins or ...?)

2. Other than Radio setting reset, what effect will be there if I disconnect the battery?

Thanks

Harry

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
231 Posts
Other then losing your radio settings it will also reset your ecu . So it may seem a little doggy at 1st as the ecu does all its relearning.

I would leave in unhooked for at least 10 minutes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Other then losing your radio settings it will also reset your ecu . So it may seem a little doggy at 1st as the ecu does all its relearning.

Thanks. I'll try this tonight or tomorrow and will post the result.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,110 Posts
30 seconds should be plenty. 2 minutes should be more than enough.

You will need to re-initialize the power windows. See your 2015 Legacy/Outback Owners Manual, page 2-36.

Reactions: jasonojordan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

One more issue.
Any idea how to program a new wireless key FOB transmitter for puch button start OB?

I received one full set of the key and one half key (cut key but missing wireless remote) from the dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
30 seconds should be plenty. 2 minutes should be more than enough.

You will need to re-initialize the power windows. See your 2015 Legacy/Outback Owners Manual, page 2-36.
One more issue.
Any idea how to program a new wireless key FOB transmitter for puch button start OB?

I received one full set of the key and one half key (cut key but missing wireless remote) from the dealer.

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
231 Posts
Unsure. I know the newer cars are alot more of a pain to program remotes then the older cars where you would just open and close the door while doing a hand stand and drinking a beer (kidding) but yea dealer may be the only option for programming remotes in these newer vehicles

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,500 Posts
One more issue.
The key without the wireless fob is probably a valet key. The tip of a valet key is narrower than the master key (the ones with with wireless fob). If it is a valet key, it won't unlock the glovebox, but it will unlock the driver's door, mute the alarm (which is good, because if the alarm is armed, unlocking with a mechanical key and opening the door will set it off), and allow you to start and drive the car.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
603 Posts
I had a 2014 and had disabled the seatbelt chime and whenever the battery was disconnected or ran down it would reactivate.

On my 2016 it doesn't do that. It was parked for three days and was completely dead but the chime remained disabled. Not sure if something changed between the model years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I spared some time to disconnect the battery and FINALLY the seatbelt warning and chime were enabled.

Before that I tried same 20 in/out in 30 seconds trick to revert it but no success.
Other than power window 1 push disabled, no any changes I have noticed so far. Surprisingly, my audio/radio settings were still as it was before.

Thank you guys for your advice.

Yeah, I think disconnecting the battery is the only way. I tried repeating the disable process (which, IIRC, would have restored the chime on my old Subaru) and it had no effect on my Gen 5.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just re-enabled seatbelt chime and warning sign on the dashboard again by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery. I waited for 10 minutes or so to be on safer side otherwise few minutes should work as well as per fellow members advice.

I had a 2014 and had disabled the seatbelt chime and whenever the battery was disconnected or ran down it would reactivate.

On my 2016 it doesn't do that. It was parked for three days and was completely dead but the chime remained disabled. Not sure if something changed between the model years.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,166 Posts
One more issue.

All info available right now says new fobs can only be programmed by the dealer. There is also some evidence suggesting that you should ALWAYS have at least 2 key fobs for a push-button start vehicle. If you lose both, you may end up with a very costly repair (BIU replacement). I've never heard of a dealer giving anyone less then 2 fobs with a new vehicle, but I would still follow up with them even though you bought used. Ask them what happens if you lose the single fob they supplied, then complain that even the manual says you should always have 2 (not explicitly stated, but clearly implied).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts