Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013, Outback, Limited 2.5
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 that the plastic framing that runs down the sides and around the vents, navigation system, audio, climate controls, etc. rattles and clicks. Is it possible to remove this or is a painful task to take on? It appears all to be one piece and has a brushed metal look.

I was thinking about removing it to see if anything could be done to reduce the rattling and clicks. I realize I could take it to the dealership, but fear damage that might result if one is not being careful.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
Taiguy has a post about how to remove it (Check in the 4th Gen section) but there are a couple of ways. I use a hooked pic tool to get down into the vents and a swift tug to get to pop loose. Just be careful that you are pulling on the stronger part of the vent as opposed to the movable portion of the diffuser. Some people are able to remove the front of the console that is under the HVAC controls and push it out from the back.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i
43 Posts
Removing the surround is a piece of cake - no worries. Didn't use any tools, only used my fingers.

There are six clips, two at the very top in the corners above the air vents, two just under the air vents control wheels and two at the very bottom. Study the photos.

First off, feel inside the top of the air vents and you will feel a slight step, use you fingers to start working against the clip. Once you break the grip of the first clip, work across the top slightly pushing down as you go to unhook the three supports. See these in the photos.

Once you have the top two free, work down either side to the middle clips and then down to the bottom two.

Replacing the surround, make sure that you line up all six clips first then see if you can push them in together but be careful of the three supports at the top that they slot in before the final push.

Hope this helps.

Avsec

·
Registered
2013, Outback, Limited 2.5
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you... not exactly what I was expecting behind it. Any thoughts on the best way to reduce this piece from rattling and clicking? Maybe running some sort of lining around the edges, etc?

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i
43 Posts
Make sure that those six positions where the clips are located are firmly pushed in and are not loose in any way. Give them a hard push with your thumb, it maybe that one of them is broken or didn't seat properly during assembly. :29:

The other possibility for the noise could be a loose wire or connector. There are a number of wires and cables included in the wiring loom that are available for different equipment options. One of these ones, not being used, may have come free and causing your grief.

Nothing worst than a squeaky dash. :mad:

Avsec

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts