Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5 5spd
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just bought a 2002 Outback with 119,000 miles. So far I love it and I've been repairing some little things that need attention. Recently found a similar car at the junk yard and took everything I could that was in better shape than mine. Anyhow, it was apparently kept in the sun a lot because some of the exterior trim is showing deterioration. I don't know if all Outbacks have the roof slats but mine look terrible since their plastic covering is cracked and falling off. I'd like to remove the slats (there are 4 or 5). Does anyone know if these are attached with 3M tape or screwed to the roof? Thanks.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
I believe they are screwed/bolted on.

·
Registered
- 2002 Outback Wagon, 119K, 5% tint, Yakima Big Powderhound Racks
4 Posts
I just recently bought an 02 with the same problem. The front caps on mine were just epoxied on at the end of the rails. They were a little loose so I just pulled them out, then the rails just slid off their tracks after that. The rear caps have a pin attached to them that slides into a hole in the roof so they can only slide off at the front. The factory black coating was an absolute PITA to remove, but I finally got it all off clean. Then primed them and hit them with a semi-gloss black. They went back on cleanly and then I re-expoxied them in place. Looks as good as new now. Mine did not have any screws holding them on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts