Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears there's something wrong with the antenna or wiring between the radio and the antenna that's causing problems. It's the whip antenna on the driver's side A-pilar. How do I get it out and replace it? I've tried, and beyond getting it loose, I can't move it more than an inch or so out. Also, I assume it's a single wire, permanently attached all the way back to the radio. How is that routed and how do you get the new one in?

BTW, I did try a second radio I had, and it too suffered from horrible reception. Also heavy wiggling on the antenna when it was lose from the roof would cause occasional instances of AM radio reception.

I guess for now it's no sports and lots of NPR. :(

Thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just in case someone else has this same problem.

I finally just bit the bullet and starting taking stuff apart. Here's how I replaced the whip antenna on my 2000 Outback. - I purchased a new one for about $40 (inc shipping) from subaruparts.com

- pop off the plastic panel to the left of the drivers foot. There were two plastic pin things, one inside and one below the door hinge. You'll pop the plastic off all the the back on the door threshold.
- remove the plastic panel to the right of the drivers foot (one plastic pin and two screws). I found I also had to remove the the plastic panel under the steering column (one screw on right and two plastic pins on the door side).
- Now you should see the antenna connecting to the little adapter that goes to the radio. You don't need to take the radio out to do this. Also, you'll see the antenna wire in the bundle of wires on the left, as is leaves the fender area and dives below the carpet.
- remove the two screws holding the antenna to the roof and pull the antenna a few inches out.
- cut off the antenna from the wire, making sure you hang on to the wire.
- here I connected a piece of 50lb mono-filament to the antenna wire with electrical tape and proceeded to pull the the wire from the area by the floor until the mono-filament came out.
- tie the mono-filament around the connector of the new antenna. This way when you pull hard, it really can't pull loose from the new one. I left a bunch of mono-filament on the back end, so i could pull it back out easily if needed.
- pull the mono-filament and feed the antenna wire into the hole on the roof.
- discard mono-filament and reinstall the 2 screws to mount the new antenna.
- attach new antenna connector to old wire with tape.
- remove foot rest. those are just plastic pins on the top and bottom. This allows you get under the carpet more easily, plus you'll have to sort of hand force the wire under the foot rest plate.
- pull old wire from right side until new wire pops out.
-clean up any tape residue from the new connector and plug it into the adapter cable.
- put all the panels back together and enjoy your new antenna.

It helps to have a second person, especially with the pulling of the wire under the carpet. We found that one person had to pull, while the other fed the wire under the
foot rest plate.

This took about 3+ hours, but I first tried just pulling the wire with the original wire. There's a point near the bottom of the A pillar that's just too
tight to get through with them taped to each other, hence the mono-filament trick. I could probably do it again in under 2, knowing how it works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 Outback antenna ('A' pillar) replacement

Just in case someone else has this same problem.

I finally just bit the bullet and starting taking stuff apart. Here's how I replaced the whip antenna on my 2000 Outback. - I purchased a new one for about $40 (inc shipping) from subaruparts.com

- pop off the plastic panel to the left of the drivers foot. There were two plastic pin things, one inside and one below the door hinge. You'll pop the plastic off all the the back on the door threshold.

This took about 3+ hours, but I first tried just pulling the wire with the original wire. There's a point near the bottom of the A pillar that's just too
tight to get through with them taped to each other, hence the mono-filament trick. I could probably do it again in under 2, knowing how it works.
Just wanted to say thanks for the informative post. With your instructions and a really careful job of taping the mono-filament (lawn trimmer), I was done in 90 minutes. In the 2001 the plate to which the footrest is mounted is held on by three 10 mm nuts - no need for a second person to feed the cable. By far the hardest part of the job was locating your post as I was looking for instructions for a 2001-2004 (I guess most of these models have the antenna mounted in the front or rear window - not my 2001).

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts