Subaru Outback Forums banner

How to Replace Driver Side Mirror 11-14 Outback?

21K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Ay-ay-ron 
#1 ·
Hi,

First-time poster here.

Somebody took the liberty of knocking out my driver-side mirror without the courtesy of leaving a note. Living in a city is so much fun! Anyways, I figure I can replace the mirror myself for less than my deductible $250. I have a 2014 3.6R (heated mirrors).

I found a replacement OEM mirror assembly on Ebay (my color, $65+sh).

*I did a fair amount of google searching before coming here. Perhaps I didn't use the best terms, but I could not find a resource that would help with replacing the mirror.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a resource that will walk me through replacing my driver-side mirror? I would be very grateful and know that it will save me one less headache. I fear just tearing up my door panel like a crazy person without any guidance.

Thanks,

Mike D

See less See more
#3 ·
@fish on!

So close man. Thank you. I think I miscommunicated. I need the instructions for replacing the entire driver side mirror assembly (plastics and all). If you have any idea how I might find that... please let me know. You seem resourceful with this stuff... and fish on! :)

#5 ·
"Pop off the plastic piece that covers the wiring to the side mirror. It literally just comes off if you pull on it."

Wow, they made replacing it really easy! I don't even have to remove the door panel to get to the mirror assembly bolts. SICKKK!!! I was hoping that would be the case. I can't believe a local shop tried to charge $130 in labor for this.

I should be able to just pop off the cover, remove the three bolts, plug into the oem wiring harness and bolt it back on. Can't believe how easy it is (knocking on all sorts of wood).

Thanks bat4255!

#7 ·
Thanks everyone. Just in case anyone else is interested. I was able to pop of the black triangular piece out with my fingers or maybe a small flat head. Disconnected the wiring harness, removed the three bolts and simply plugged in and screwed the new assembly without having to remove any of the door panel.

#9 ·
Glad this thread was of service to you.

Now if someone could explain to me how to pop off or replace the plastic shell (painted part) of the assembly that’d be great! I’m still running an off color piece ever since replacing the entire assembly with one from eBay! Kept my original, but have yet to figure out a safe way to replace it without breaking any tabs.

#11 ·
Great thread, I replaced my passenger side mirror. I did have to remove the door panel to do so. Everything went well except, while removing one of the bolts from the original mirror, it snapped because it was rusted in. What is the bolt size? I know it has an 8mm head, and I assume it will be at least galvanized.

Thanks for any help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.