Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 2010 Legacy Outback 2.5 that needs a new front subframe, and I need some advice on how to replace it. I've tried looking up tutorials but haven't found anything specific to this generation of Outback or even this generation of Legacy.

I'm mainly wondering what is actually bolted to the subframe, and what the proper way to remove those components would be. I know you need to support the engine with some sort of hoist, but I couldn't find anything on whether the engine is actually mounted to the subframe and what the proper method for removing these mounts would be, as well as any other components I should support / remove before trying to take off the subframe.

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,141 Posts
Grab a coffee.

You need an engine support to hold the engine up. It's a setup that is a long bar with legs and attachments to hook to the engine's lift points. The support gets put in place and the engine weight lifted just a bit to hold it up.

Jack up the car and support it with jack stands. Remove the wheels. Disconnect the steering tie rods from the knuckles. Disconnect the sway bar links. Disconnect the ball joint and pry the lower control arm out of the knuckle. Just turn the knuckle to the side.

Take the exhaust manifold down. Be sure to disconnect the AF and O2 sensor connectors from up top. You can leave the sensors in the manifold. Take the intermediate pipe down.

Disconnect the power steering hoses at the junction above the rack. Inside the car, lock the steering wheel in place so it doesn't rotate. Use a good market and mark a line on the two steering rods so you can insure the exact alignment when you put things together. Remove the bolt from the lower steering intermediate rod and slide the rod off of the steering gear shaft.

Remove the bolts at the rear of the lower control arms. Put a jack under the cross member. You can use a board to help with stability. Unbolt the engine mounts and remove the bolts securing the cross member and lower it from the car.

Swap all you parts and reinstall.

Get an alignment when it's back together.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
177 Posts
Dealer here in UK quoted "about 3 hours labour" to replace my corroded front subframe. Waiting for the part, will post update when job done👍

1 - 3 of 3 Posts