Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 5EAT
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the P0420 blues this week.. first time on my 05 OBXT with a completely new OEM engine and lines (~6k on the new engine at this point). Rear O2 sensor replaced with new OEM about 2 months ago after P2096 code was thrown 2x in a week.

Triggered 0420 at the beginning of the week. Threw a bottle of cataclean at it when I got down to 1/4 tank... came back on a few days later but went off on its own after 24 hours.

My mechanic says he's had good results putting a bottle of Seafoam in through the throttle body, but in the turbo models it's blocked by the intercooler.

Is there a way to hit all 4 cylinders fairly equally through a vac line? I figure it's worth another quick $7 to see if that'll clean up any residue on the cats and see if that solves anything.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
You can tee into one of the little lines on the front of the manifold, by the MAP sensor etc.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
Don't, its not worth the $ cash you paid. The Seafoam formulation does nothing for the crud left from ethanol fuel.

If you want to clean the TB, PCV and the intake, take them off an clean them by hand...trust me.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 5EAT
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I take it you're saying the code is more likely triggered due to issues on the intake side of things, and not residue on the cat itself?

·
Registered
2005 18psi supercharged U5 Outback w/207k+ miles
756 Posts
if you got the spray can version of sea foam you can the little red hose in in after the intercooler, before the throttle body.
Rev it up and spray it in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts