Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Try to press and hold the power button for few seconds to turn the unit off. per manual~

I'm having another problem with my '18 Limited's HK sound system / head unit:

There is no way to turn it off.

If I'm listening to music from any source - radio, bluetooth device, Apple CarPlay - pushing the power button to turn off the system does not turn it off, it MUTES the system. You see the "mute" icon in the upper right of the screen.

This is a software glitch which I hope can be resolved with an update.

If you own an '18 Limited or Touring, does your power button turn off your sound or just mute it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Try to press and hold the power button for few seconds to turn the unit off. per manual~
Thanks very much, for your post here and on the other thread.

So this is a feature, not a bug. A questionable design choice, at best.

It turns out that if you shut the radio off by holding the button down for 3 seconds, then the radio will not come on when you turn off the car.

But if you're listening to another source, such as Apple CarPlay or a device connected via Bluetooth, it doesn't work: turning the sound system off by holding the power button for 3 seconds seems to turn off the stereo while the car is on. But when you turn the car off, the radio comes back on until you open one of the doors.

Also, a bug, not a feature: once in a great while, the head unit will not recognize my iPhone via AirPlay when connected via USB cable. When this happens, completely powering off the phone and restarting it does not help, nor does turning off the car and restarting it. You just have to wait.

Also, one time while driving the car, I could not turn off the radio (it was playing a Sirius XM channel) or change the channel, the volume, or change to a different source (e.g. FM or Apple CarPlay). This continued until I turned off the car and restarted it.

Bottom line, the head unit in my '18 Outback Limited is glitchy. These issues are all minor annoyances in an otherwise great car. But when you buy a brand new car for about $35K, you shouldn't have to deal with crap like this.

And my dealer expects me to give them straight 10s on the post-sale survey? Yeah, right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just got an '18 Outback Limited. If you push and hold the volume button, the radio will eventually turn off. The annoying thing is that it turns itself back on when you start the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like the fact that the radio, windows and so on work until the door is open but I am talking about a different problem.

When I start the car the next morning etc. the radio is on even though I think it should be off.

Anyone else having this problem?

2018 Legacy with Starlink

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Glad i'm still driving my '99 and '03. Both have aftermarket units and each one has similar issues. Not looking forward to getting newer Subaru with all of these "features".

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have held the button in and I can see where the radio is muted. Holding the button in longer does nothing. I too, hope that a software update will be available at some point. No luck so far as the radio just won't turn off.

Volume knob turns and turns. Is that normal?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This "feature" is very bothersome. If I want the radio on, I would turn it on. I don't want it on, and don't appreciate it coming on automatically every time I turn my car off. It's crazy. Just bought my Outback last night, and this is a big dissatisfier for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This "feature" is very bothersome. If I want the radio on, I would turn it on. I don't want it on, and don't appreciate it coming on automatically every time I turn my car off. It's crazy. Just bought my Outback last night, and this is a big dissatisfier for me.
Press the on/off button quickly and the radio goes to "mute", not turned off. Press and hold for about 3 seconds and it turns off, and it will stay off when you turn the car off. But alas, it will be back on the next time you turn the car on. Crazy.

·
Registered
401 Posts
This is an amazingly stupid "feature". I mean, WTF is Subaru thinking ?.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ya ... just have to turn the volume down to zero before I leave the car. Radio still turns on when I start it, but at least the volume is zero.

·
Registered
401 Posts
On my ‘17 OB, with the radio ON, pressing the volume button for 3 sec. make the screen go blank, with the radio still playing.

Oddity.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So my 2016 doesn't do any of the easy stuff my 11 year old Volvo does. The Volvo radio stays on until you remove the key and open the door, same with power to the windows. If you hold down unlock on the fob , all of the windows roll down. The door unlocks with 2 pulls of the handle which is less annoying than going to the button and then back to the handle, and they automatically lock at 10 mph. From my reading here, the 2018 attempts a few of these easy, convenient things but screws them up with complexity!?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The next time someone says "it's just a couple lines of code; it shouldn't cost more than $10" to implement some new "feature", remember this!
Seriously. All it takes is one other person to run your code for you to say, "Yeah, OK, there's that...". :nerd:

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
On my ‘17 OB, with the radio ON, pressing the volume button for 3 sec. make the screen go blank, with the radio still playing.

Oddity.
That used to be how you activated a custom screen image of your choice. Some have complained the image would get "lost" and not activate over time.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Originally Posted by skipw View Post
The next time someone says "it's just a couple lines of code; it shouldn't cost more than $10" to implement some new "feature", remember this!

Seriously. All it takes is one other person to run your code for you to say, "Yeah, OK, there's that...". :nerd:

Most people that say this do not have a clue what is involved in writing, testing, and troubleshooting code. Its like me saying, its no big deal.....just throw in a new heart value......:grin2:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't mind that the radio stays on until the driver's door is opened. However, I am annoyed that it comes on automatically when I start the car - I will turn on the entertainment system/radio if I want it on (not the car). I sincerely hope Subaru corrects this problem.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't mind that the radio stays on until the driver's door is opened. However, I am annoyed that it comes on automatically when I start the car - I will turn on the entertainment system/radio if I want it on (not the car). I sincerely hope Subaru corrects this problem.

If the radio is in the on position when you turn off the car, that is where it should be when you turn the car back on (accessory position) or start the car. If however you turn the car off (from reading the threads I cannot tell if one can actually turn off the radio) before you turn off the car, it should not come back on until you turn it on.

·
Registered
537 Posts

If the radio is in the on position when you turn off the car, that is where it should be when you turn the car back on (accessory position) or start the car. If however you turn the car off (from reading the threads I cannot tell if one can actually turn off the radio) before you turn off the car, it should not come back on until you turn it on.
Radio still comes on even if you "turn it off". There's no real turning off radio anymore. It just does pause thing, and shows as such on the display.
However, thanks to somebody from the related thread, there's workaround. If you select Bluetooth as media source, it will actually stop music at start. Unless your phone music app auto plays music when connected.
Turning screen off does nothing special.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Page 20 of the Starlink manual defines the power/volume knob as
Press and hold to turn the audio system on/off.
When the ignition is placed in acc or on the audio system plays the last station at the last volume setting. The screen remains dark till you press one of the buttons.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
About this Discussion
62 Replies
39 Participants
Steve.T
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing