Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Annoying radio in 2018

Just got a 2018 Legacy, and I would "return" it if I could. This is a VERY ANNOYING feature. I'll watch this forum to see if anyone knows a workaround. SUBARU... you screwed up, big time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Radio "feature" is HIGHLY ANNOYING

Just got a 2018 Legacy. I HATE that the radio keeps coming on. Whoever designed that as a 'feature' ought to be shot.

I have a 2011 Legacy that I love, but the 18.... sucks, because of the darn radio 'feature'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope you're right.

I hope you're right. I detest this new "feature". Subaru screwed up big, with this stupid 'feature'.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Subaru does not read or monitor forums like this. Hopefully everyone here that is gripping about it has called and gotten an SR opened to resolve this. If you haven’t, take a few minutes
Call 800-782-2783 (800-SUBARU3) option 6 then 3.
Provide your VIN to the representative and express you issue with the radio. Get an SR, or case, opened. That’s the ONLY way Subaru will know there is an issue and will have to address it if they have enough open cases related to this.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I agree this would be annoying, but if you can turn down the volume before shutting off the car and the volume stays low, seems pretty minor, albeit undesirable. Of much greater concern would seem to be the numerous reports of headunit freezing and non-functionality!! As jnmarshall advises, report it to Subaru - we on the forums are aware and in agreement already. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I hate it that when I use CarPlay and turn the engine off the radio comes on. If I use Bluetooth, it keeps playing until I open the door which is expected behavior. What I did find to mitigate this issue is go to radio and select sxm channel 0. Now when I turn off the engine, it defaults to sxm channel 0 which has no audio. Problem solved in both my 2018 outbacks.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I just called my dealer to ask about this. They had to research it and get back to me, which they did.

They say the feature cannot be disabled. They also said this is new to the 2018 models, so anyone who gets a 2018 Outback with Starlink can look forward to this issue.

On the up side, it is really nice being able to roll up the windows AFTER turning off the car. With my '14 Outback, you cannot operate the power windows after turning off the car. Most other cars I've owned give you a minute or so with electrical power after shutting off the engine, so you can roll up the power windows.

You could roll up windows Via remote at any time on my 2001 Audi A6, for cryin' out loud.

The radio thing sounds annoying with no way to disable.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I agree this would be annoying, but if you can turn down the volume before shutting off the car and the volume stays low, seems pretty minor, albeit undesirable. Of much greater concern would seem to be the numerous reports of headunit freezing and non-functionality!! As jnmarshall advises, report it to Subaru - we on the forums are aware and in agreement already. :)
It's absurd to think one must do that, go to XM Channel 0, etc, every time one leaves the car - ridiculous IMO.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's absurd to think one must do that, go to XM Channel 0, etc, every time one leaves the car - ridiculous IMO.
It’s not. You simply go to sxm channel 0 one time and if you are like me who does not use the radio at all but only uses CarPlay, then it works perfectly. It simply goes to the last radio used.

·
Registered
819 Posts
It’s not. You simply go to sxm channel 0 one time and if you are like me who does not use the radio at all but only uses CarPlay, then it works perfectly. It simply goes to the last radio used.
Ah, I see.

The fact that this fix only works if you don't use the radio makes it useless to me (many). My conclusion, regrettably, remains it's a poorly thought out, .bad system

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ah, I see.

The fact that this fix only works if you don't use the radio makes it useless to me (many). My conclusion, regrettably, remains it's a poorly thought out, .bad system
To that I agree. They do need to fix this. Im going in tomorrow for some follow up work to the dealer and I will bring it up again. If they have something new, I’ll report.
On edit: well the dealer was little help even after I demonstrated a number of the issues with this system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No it wont . New 18 Premier Outback I push and hold down button it still comes on when I turn it off and stays on till I open the door , plus Navigation screen stays on till I open the door . When I turn it off I want everything off and there doesn't seem to be a way of doing that. Aggravating !!

·
Registered
971 Posts
No it wont . New 18 Premier Outback I push and hold down button it still comes on when I turn it off and stays on till I open the door , plus Navigation screen stays on till I open the door . When I turn it off I want everything off and there doesn't seem to be a way of doing that. Aggravating !!
You have to have the newest firmware. Unless it was updated within the last couple of weeks it's unlikely you have the new firmware.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also find this "feature" to be very annoying. I will call and report a case to Subaru. I also find the Carplay to be very slow and unreliable. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I recently rented a Kia that had Carplay and it worked perfectly. It always quickly connected and picked up where it was. No going back to the radio or some other screen. Made me realize how poorly Subaru implemented Carplay. Glad I leased this Outback rather than buying it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Carplay truly sucks as the way Subaru implemented it. Why can't you play through BT still? Maybe someone else in the car is providing the audio source and you still want to use Apple or Google Maps. Maybe you just want to charge your phone while playing something from BT audio? So stupid.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Carplay truly sucks as the way Subaru implemented it. Why can't you play through BT still? Maybe someone else in the car is providing the audio source and you still want to use Apple or Google Maps. Maybe you just want to charge your phone while playing something from BT audio? So stupid.
CarPlay doesn't work via Bluetooth, except in a very limited number of cars (no Subarus). This isn't a Subaru specific issue. Now if Subaru would keep the USB port activated when the ignition is turned off, until either the driver's door is opened or the timeout is reached (just like the radio itself does), then CarPlay would most likely continue playing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, and it's fine that Carplay doesn't work through BT - I'm fine with that for the most part. But it'd be nice to be able to use Carplay for Google Maps - then have someone else in the car be able to control the music from their phone via BT. As soon as a Carplay connection becomes active it disables playing music from BT from any device.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, you can power down the radio and it will turn itself back on when you shut off the engine.
It also turns itself on whenever you start the vehicle. EXTREMELY annoying. My next car may NOT be a Subaru.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got a 2019 Outback Limited. This radio thing is an absolute nightmare. Has anyone had any success at all keeping the radio powered off? I never listen to the radio, and I mean never. Only my own music through flash drive, iPod, or even CD. Please help!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I just got a 2019 Outback Limited. This radio thing is an absolute nightmare. Has anyone had any success at all keeping the radio powered off? I never listen to the radio, and I mean never. Only my own music through flash drive, iPod, or even CD. Please help!!!!!!
My radio never comes on. It’s always set to Bluetooth, and if the phone is playing something, that comes on, otherwise it’s the Bluetooth source screen and nothing else.

The headunit is really never off - you can set it to be dark, but as soon as you hit any button, on the wheel or on the unit, the screen comes back on.

If I leave it on maps, the map displays, and the Bluetooth will play (if there is something queued up on the phone). Otherwise there it’s just the map and no audio.... but it never switches back to FM or XM radio on it’s own.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
About this Discussion
62 Replies
39 Participants
Steve.T
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing