2004 Subaru Outback & a 2004 Ford Falcon RTV
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,204 Posts
Haven't been able to find how to turn on these lower lights. Are they spotlights or maybe fog-lights.
In the dark I've turned everything on light related and even got out the car to see whats on and working and nothing from those lower lights.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=431025&stc=1&d=1528380062
from the factory

they are fog lights and only work with the low beam setting on the main head lights.

see your owners manual for where the switch is,
in a american spec one it is between the steering wheel and the a pillar on the dash.

(pic attachment view still not working....2-3 days now,...admin is switching things around)

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback & a 2004 Ford Falcon RTV
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys and don't have an owners manual but just purchased a complete package off ebay, even has the lovely blue envelop thingy to stash them in the glove box.

My Australian Outback has a switch between the steering wheel and the instruments as well the ring on the light/blinker stalk but only the ring thing turns anything on.

As for the fog lights can these be setup as somewhere to fit spotlights its just that we don't get fog in outback Australia and spotties to see the Kangaroos would be lovely.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,204 Posts
Thanks guys and don't have an owners manual but just purchased a complete package off ebay, even has the lovely blue envelop thingy to stash them in the glove box.

My Australian Outback has a switch between the steering wheel and the instruments as well the ring on the light/blinker stalk but only the ring thing turns anything on.

As for the fog lights can these be setup as somewhere to fit spotlights its just that we don't get fog in outback Australia and spotties to see the Kangaroos would be lovely.

what do others with subarus do in austraila?

I seen plenty of pics with subarus with locally made Roo-Guards / Bull Bars on them,...typically with driving lights.

_____

some may swap the fogs out, and put aim-able driving lights in them, but as these sit they point very close to the front of the car. I just leave my fogs on, they add some more light up close and complement the regular low beams.
(I have been lucky, as I have not had much car to deer contact since 1993 when I killed one, and injured a car a bit).

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
(I have been lucky, as I have not had much car to deer contact since 1993 when I killed one, and injured a car a bit).

Wasn't that what prompted you to buy the combined deer/elephant whistle? :wink2:

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
You can replace those lights with lasers.. Then one ZAP! and the roos will be flopping and not hopping.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,204 Posts
You can replace those lights with lasers.. Then one ZAP! and the roos will be flopping and not hopping.
I am ordering one of those for my 2020 outback,

comes with 2 settings:

Toasted or Roasted.

Wasn't that what prompted you to buy the combined deer/elephant whistle? :wink2:
I never put credence into those things, plenty of them on cars that hit deer.

deer have ears bigger then your hands. they can hear the engine, and the tires, then the big hunk of metal moving through the air,.

..they just know they are the fastest thing on earth,...and some are just dumb enough to jay-walk,...or jay-run.

nice when they just stand in the ditch politely, and let you pass by.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,179 Posts

You can not run those lights as spotlights or replace them with spots in Australia as it breaches the ADR's. Can only be run as fog lights in times of poor atmospheric conditions. You can add other spots on the front though. The switch on top of the steering column turns on the rear red fog light if fitted. We have plenty of fog in Victoria...Do you want some. We will swap some for some of your sun shine.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
Unfortunately we do not have the rear fogs on most cars in the US. Often you can find where the bulb would go in the light housing on one side; it is a pretty easy mod if you are electrically inclined.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts