Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all,

I searched for a way to use Pandora over BT audio in my Subaru while allowing phone charging and couldn't find a post that solved the situation.

Here's my solution to this problem. It's not perfect but it does work. I've only tried this in my 2013 Outback Limited with Type B radio.

First, I needed to charge the phone when streaming but if I plugged it into the USB slot, the car wanted to play the music on my phone and wouldn't stream. I had an adapter to convert the cigarette style power outlet to a dual USB charger. I got it at Walmart for $10. Something similar to this: Energizer iPad Single USB Car Charger: Auto Electronics : Walmart.com

Since my console contained both a USB and traditional power outlet, I plugged the phone into the adapter in the traditional outlet instead of the stock USB. This allowed the phone to charge and maintain its ability to stream music over Bluetooth.

Second, when you switch to BT audio mode, it seems whichever app has output to audio on the iPhone, is what will be broadcast from the speakers. So, if I fire up Pandora then turn on BT Audio, I can stream Pandora from the speakers. The audio screen will show artist and song info and the skip button on the steering wheel works as well.

So, now I can enjoy my Pandora stations while driving and arrive with a fully charged phone at my destination.

I'm open to any suggestions on how to improve this process. Hope this comes in handy for someone. I apologize if this is a duplicate post if this has already been covered.

GeauxTigers

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
iPhones always route audio to the most-recently-connected output. This is why you needed to make your own power supply for charging. And until Apple changes iOS to allow profiles or preferences for audio routing, it's as good as it's going to get.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Nice post. :29:

Because I have an Android phone this is the only way I can easily listen to music. No USB for me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have an android phone too and I often listen to music from Pandora over bluetooth while it's plugged into the charger. I think it even lets me use the steering wheel to skip a song.

Does anyone know kind of protocol it would take to also display the song/artist names?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
My Android seems to only link song/artist names from the built in music player and ignores all other inputs. I think If Google play could work around this (currently it doesn't work either) then others will follow. In truth future car Bluetooth will get better and that might solve the issue (aftermarket has already done this too).

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have an android phone too and I often listen to music from Pandora over bluetooth while it's plugged into the charger. I think it even lets me use the steering wheel to skip a song.

Does anyone know kind of protocol it would take to also display the song/artist names?
I used to have a droid x paired to a high end kenwood and when streaming pandora over Bluetooth no artist/song info... And this was last year!

It's sad to hear this is still an issue.

Joel

·
Registered
297 Posts
Since my console contained both a USB and traditional power outlet, I plugged the phone into the adapter in the traditional outlet instead of the stock USB. This allowed the phone to charge and maintain its ability to stream music over Bluetooth.

Second, when you switch to BT audio mode, it seems whichever app has output to audio on the iPhone, is what will be broadcast from the speakers. So, if I fire up Pandora then turn on BT Audio, I can stream Pandora from the speakers. The audio screen will show artist and song info and the skip button on the steering wheel works as well.

So, now I can enjoy my Pandora stations while driving and arrive with a fully charged phone at my destination.

I'm open to any suggestions on how to improve this process. Hope this comes in handy for someone. I apologize if this is a duplicate post if this has already been covered.

GeauxTigers
GeauxTigers - I just plug my iphone via usb in the center console, switch on the usb mode on the radio until it reads and connects to the phone (that's when it starts charging) then switch over to bluetooth. Now you got your phone charging while steaming pandora via bluetooth! It's a pain in the butt process, but it's the only way I've found out how to do it.

Does anyone know if there's a way to just stream pandora via usb?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Get a USB adapter for your cigarette lighter port and use that to charge while you stream all of your audio and phone calls via bluetooth. Works perfect for me with my iPhone.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Unfortunately, iPhone ≠ Android when it comes to compatibility with the head unit. I think they add some features specifically for the iPhone only.

I just wish I knew which ones are "iPhone only" vs. "Android if you figure out how to configure it in a certain way". :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
bezly
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing