Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use an iPhone and this is how I got Waze on my 2018 Touring for $25.00.

First off Apple will never allow Waze on CarPlay – stop complaining, crying and begging for it. Second, I didn’t want to change my phone to an Android for just one app. Since Waze now works with Android Auto you just need to buy an Android phone. Here’s the tip – you don’t need to a new one or activate a phone plan – this is where you save money. I purchased a chewed up phone on eBay for $25.00 and it didn’t come with a SIM card.

To use Android Auto, you’ll need a phone running Android 5.0 or higher (Lollipop, Marshmallow or Nougat). You’ll need to be using Waze version 4.27 or higher. Use the USB cable connection for Android Auto.

I connected the Android with a USB cable to the head unit. The Android will need an active data connection to update Waze while in use so I used the iPhone’s Personal Hotspot and then connected the Android to the Wi-Fi Hotspot. Connect the iPhone to the 12volt power supply by using a USB adapter.

Now you have a $25.00 solution. Obviously you can activate the phone with a SIM card and a Data Plan and not use the Hotspot but it’ll cost you more. Since you’re not likely to use the Android for anything else, you can even use a cracked screen as long as the phone still works. There are plenty of those that can be had for cheap on eBay. If it’s really ugly you can always close the door on the dashboard Pocket and no one will see it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts