Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a driver of VWs for a long time and picked up a Subaru Outlook for my daughter as her first car. I hang out in the TDI Club forum regularly for my old Jetta and new Passat. I had a great experience learning the ropes on those cars and I hope this place is a similar experience for the Outback. It is a 2008 2.5... a few minor things, but mostly seems in good shape. The power steering is a bit off, so from what I have seen I will take a look at the o-ring and see if that helps. I am hoping for a reliable vehicle that doesn't need much beyond routine maintenance for the next 2-6 years to get her through college without needing me to get pick her up because her car is broken down.

Reactions: seancpdx

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,110 Posts
I can relate. I gave my daughter my 2000 Outback when I got my LL Bean 2008 model. She drives it to high school nearly 40 miles each way. It has 230,000 miles on it and after getting it road ready (it was inherited in terrible condition), I have only performed routine maintenance and replaced wear items like brakes and tires. Not sure where your daughter is going to school, but if there is snow, she is in the right vehicle.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,121 Posts
a bad alignment, or worn stuff in the suspension/ bushings can mask itself as a steering problem in a 2008,...if the steering seems off for no reason.

plenty of 2005-2009 mods here to put better stuff on the rear then the factory did if you want it to be more firmly planted too.

_______

and wow Peab,...that is one long high school commute. :frown2: is this for the gifted / talented ballerina?

_____

and I would still take a front drive with 4 good snow tires (or great all seasons)

vs. a AWD with 35,000 mile all seasons. = all wheel spin.

(and for a couple years I was making 100 mile round trip college commutes daily on a front wheel drive justy,...)

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Similar situation here. We are in the Midwest, so we can get pretty heavy snow. She drives 30 miles round trip for high school... we moved and she wanted to finish out where she started. She will be doing 30 miles round trip next year for college, too.

The first thing I have to deal with looks like the o-ring for the power steering. The power steering works fine, it just squeals when you turn hard in either direction. I will definitely look into the suspension because this thing has 175k miles on it and I doubt it has been addressed.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Keep head gaskets in mind.

On that generation of the engine, they usually just do a slow external weep. No drama, no urgency, at least not until you run low on oil or coolant.

...and thus I recommend that you make absolutely certain that your daughter knows how and when to check & top-up.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I just screwed up. I got the o-ring and replaced it. As soon as that happened, the reservoir for the fluid started overfilling. I think that there was definitely a flow issue before. Anyhow it started working itself out. Well, I was thinking, maybe I need to tighten the bolt that hold the line in place. Well... I overtightened it and I am not sure if I broke the bolt or stripped out the threading inside the power steering pump. The engine is too warm for me to mess with right now. I am thinking that I may need to change the entire pump, anyhow... I think it was neglected for too long. We'll see.

Is there a forum "preferred" site to buy parts?

EDIT: I broke it off... easier to deal with than the alternative.

EDIT2: Fixed easily enough. I think I will still get a new PS pump, though. I don't know if this thing will work out the air on its own or if it is failing. At times, the PS is fine and other times it is completely lacking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts