Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy did I get myself into an area I don't know much about.

I read through the post on NASIOC on how to replace the front bearings. I thought I was following his instructions and got everything apart except the hub wouldn't come off the axle. I don't have a puller.
I pushed, puller, tapped, hammered and then the whole axle came out! I took to some pictures show what it looks like. What do I do now and do I need a new axle? I even took the band off the boot by the hub thinking that was causing a problem.
Help please,

Attachments

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Boy did I get myself into an area I don't know much about.

I read through the post on NASIOC on how to replace the front bearings. I thought I was following his instructions and got everything apart except the hub wouldn't come off the axle. I don't have a puller.
I pushed, puller, tapped, hammered and then the whole axle came out! I took to some pictures show what it looks like. What do I do now and do I need a new axle? I even took the band off the boot by the hub thinking that was causing a problem.
Help please,
I'm going to take a guess and say that is supposed to happen but since I've never taken one apart I'll give you a bump hoping someone else can help. If I remember correctly the axle "floats" meaning it should pull out like it did.

However you do have some contaminated grease behind the boot it looks like which means the boot might be compromised. Now that it's off the car this is the time to read up on axle/boot replacement anyway just to see if you have been having any of the symptoms. Edit: found one of the links http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/37399-vibration-idle-after-replacing-front-axles-solved.html

I do remember that you do not want an aftermarket axle. But I think there are a couple companies that produce "remanufactured" axles that have good reviews. This is all from memory though. Do a search for "axle" and make sure you change the date tab at the bottom and you should see all the info you need.

The good news is now that it's off you can take the axle to someone that does have a puller if you go that route.

Also, we need to know what car you have silly! Year, miles, tranny, engine.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
The axle is supposed to pull out of the outer CV joint, so you could reboot it and the inner joint, it won't bee too hard once you get the outer joint out of the hub.

Since you have the knuckle off, a shop or even a good parts store can press it off on the cheap.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,617 Posts
I recently had to use the 'blue wrench' , then a 7 ton gear puller to get an axle out of the bearing on my daughter's 06 Impala.

yeah, take it to a shop that will press it out. If you had no issues with the axle originally, clean/re-lube and reboot it. (search for info on that) Wire brush/clean and use never seize on the splines when installing into new bearing.

The other end is retained by that 'circlip' inside the diff. Try to be careful re-inserting it to avoid damaging the seal. It should pop into place with a little force.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
I've never seen the 'outer' CV joint come apart. The few threads I've read said you can't get the outer apart, so you need to take the inner apart to reboot the outer. Maybe someone more knowledgable than me can say something about getting that outer CV joint apart and back together.

Looks like you inner boot is torn and would need to be replaced. At this point, I would suggest a new rebuilt axle as you easiest route.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
The outer is supposed to just pop off like that, but it takes a pretty good hit to do it.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,617 Posts
it's been a long time, and it wasn't a soob but, there may have been a snap ring on the outer's shaft end that got sheared?

and the inner has a wire inside the end of the green cup to retain the tripod w'ever IIRC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So your saying there's a chance?

Thank you all for the replies. And sorry for not posting my info:

2003 Outback, Auto tran, 6 cyl, LLBean (if that make a difference).

I just bought the car from my daughter- of course the bearing went out the next day (I just told her I'm tightening the suspension so she won't feel like its her fault.

Next question- in the second picture it looks like the axle "bone" just popped out of the joint, will it go back in without issue? and if so how does it make the wheel turn with a round end (it looks odd to me)

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,426 Posts
Here is an exploded view.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_28/suspension_and_axle/front_axle/illustration_2/

There should be a circle clip at the end of the shaft that came out of the outer side. Lightly taping the shaft and it should slide back into the outer part. The circle clip should be at the greasy end of the shaft in your second picture.

Looks like your inner boot is torn, and since you have disconnected your outer boot and you will need a new clamp for that I would recommend a complete reboot of the axle at this point.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Reboot it - keep the OEM axle if its fine otherwise. Don't get a cheap parts store replacement axle or you'll be doing this project again sooner than you like.

Good quality boots too given you don't want to do a reboot again either ;-)

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Here is an exploded view.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_28/suspension_and_axle/front_axle/illustration_2/

There should be a circle clip at the end of the shaft that came out of the outer side. Lightly taping the shaft and it should slide back into the outer part. The circle clip should be at the greasy end of the shaft in your second picture.

Looks like your inner boot is torn, and since you have disconnected your outer boot and you will need a new clamp for that I would recommend a complete reboot of the axle at this point.
Interesting. This says you can easily reboot the outer joint seperately from the inner. You just have to pull really hard to get it to come apart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ouch! price shock

I took the knuckle into the shop to have the old axle pressed out and they said I should get a new axle because I hammered the end and probably mushroomed the end.
The shop said to call Napa (they said the vibration issues are usually from improper installation)

Napa- reman'd = $49 (after $12 core return, but might not take the core becasue of the hammer issue
Napa- New $99
I called the local Subaru- reman'd = $159

I really don't want to pay $100 more (at the Dealer) than I need to for a similar part. The guy at Napa said he has only had 2 vibration axle issues in 16 years.
Money is tight but I also don't want to throw good money at bad.
Any advice on this would really be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
get the reman, give them back the core and install.no need to tell them about the mushrooming.

its what i would do if money was tight.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the shop just called and said they put over 10 tons of pressure and enough heat on the knuckle and axle and if the if they put any more heat on it the metal would probably distort.
The splint thing won't come out of the knuckle.

Now I have to buy a knuckle!

Well its either the wrecking yard or the dealer.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
PS Those ends are hardened. If you can slip the axle in to the hub and you can easily thread the nut on, then it's fine. If you can't then you need a new axle.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Nevermind. You mushroomed it. New Hub. Might as well replace the ball joint since it was still in the old hub.

Tom

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
PS We've all been there. I can't count the number of stupid things I did trying to fix cars. But now I only do it about every other time :)

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Well the shop just called and said they put over 10 tons of pressure and enough heat on the knuckle and axle and if the if they put any more heat on it the metal would probably distort.
The splint thing won't come out of the knuckle.

Now I have to buy a knuckle!

Well its either the wrecking yard or the dealer.
There's a reason I bought a 20T press for working on subarus...

but the hot ticket for axle removal is this critter from pep boys:

you can tighten it all to heck then hammer on the S.O.B.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts