Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, does anybody know if front wheels hub bearings can go bad at 35000 miles

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,558 Posts
Anything can fail at any time - it's a matter of manufacturing quality, environment, usage, service, and perhaps luck.

But should it fail this early? No.

And when it does happen at this young age, you have a warranty to cover it. This is really how you should be going about it and asking the question of Subaru.

My wife's Prius just failed a front wheel bearing at 40k miles, BTW - so I'm speaking from experience here. Pretty unusual for a Toyota to do this.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Both of mine did on my 84 Dodge Charger

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Hi, does anybody know if front wheels hub bearings can go bad at 35000 miles
That is early, but not surprising with newer vehicles. Honda pilot wheel bearings are failing at 20k, not common but not a surprise either. Wheel bearings are failing at higher rates than they used to, across many manufacturers - not just Subaru.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6r Limited
164 Posts
My experience with Subaru Outbacks...... Both my 2007 and it's replacement 2013 had the rears fail at 90k. I never had the fronts go bad. But, both front CV Axles on the 2007 also went bad at around 100k.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my car is 2013 and my extended warranty just expired not sure if it covered under factory warranty
Yes it makes a lot of hum noise at the front end with different sets of tires

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,937 Posts
I have lost one bearing on the OB...and the 2001 forester we used to have went through rear bearings like fat kid in a candy store...

Reactions: miker104

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,170 Posts
ALL Subaru SVX had rear wheel bearing failure, spot on at about 55K, ALL of em. All had trans failure about same time too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Subaru dealership just inspected my car and it drive shaft, not hub bearing. Good thing it's still under 6 year or 60000 miles power train warranty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts