Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have already had both rear wheel bearings replaced which caused a great reduction in the noise but I still get a faint metallicish humming/rubbing from the rear somewhere. The only thing I can think of is something to do with the differential but geez I do not want to spend that and I am going to change the gear oil tomorrow. Any thoughts on some cheaper routes to look at first? I have poked around a bit in the forum and seen mentions of a certain bearing in the driveline that can cause something similar but I cannot find a recording of the noises to compare it to.

The noise happens consistently louder relative to vehicle speed around 25MPH+ and does not change under throttle load or braking. You cannot feel any vibrations except something faint getting transmitted into the floor and even then you have to be going at highway speeds to even start to notice. Also all tires are full balanced and aligned, tire pressures right, there is no unusual play in the driveline, and there is no noticeable effects when cornering as in no changes in noise no shimmying etc. Also would you advise driving it under these conditions? Please help I just got this car and I love it to death and having already sunk $400+ into it within a month of getting it I am really getting anxious.

Thanks!
Davis

·
Registered
16,294 Posts
seen mentions of a certain bearing in the driveline that can cause something similar but I cannot find a recording of the noises to compare it to.
Probably referring to the carrier bearing that is about half-way along the propeller shaft to the rear differential.

Detecting the source of noises can be difficult, especially when the noise is apparent only at higher speeds. However, bearings sometimes reveal their faults even when turned by hand. One way is to get the car raised on a hoist with the wheels free to turn and rotate each wheel while listening at, and near to, the hubs for unusual sounds. (A mechanic's stethoscope will be helpful.) Compare the four wheels. Also, turn one of the rear wheels to rotate the propeller shaft, and listen at the carrier bearing.

In addition, sometimes faulty bearings will transmit a vibration to the adjoining suspension components, so feel around the bearing when rotating the wheel to see if one wheel seems to be rougher than the others.

Better to try to narrow the possibilities, than to guess or go by "similar" sounds when replacing costly components.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
plain OM
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing