Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 month old 2013 Outback with less than 2000 miles that just started making a high pitched humming noise driving above 60 mph. I pinpointed the noise to just below the floor back seat "hump" that lies down the midline of the car. The noise sounds like metal on metal and it is a high pitch harmonic sound with really no rhythm (more random). It happens at acceleration above 60 mph and is most annoying between 75 and 80mph, coasting or accelerating. It occurs regardless of time or temperature (happened an entire 2 hour car ride). If I put my hand on the floor I can actually feel the vibration of the noise at the center of the car just behind the center console.

I took the car to the dealership and after looking at it, they said it was a bent heat shield near the drive shaft and it was tapping against something. They bent it back into place, test drove it and said the noise was gone. Wrong. It was back with no change as I drove home not even 10 minutes later. The problem with this noise is that it is more pronounced depending on the highway that I am on. So it's louder on newer paved surfaces. Regardless, it is there on any highway. Could it be the exhaust, like something tapping it? It most definitely sounds like wind through a bottle, but I can feel a vibration so it might be a flap of something hitting metal like the dealer diagnosed. I've searched high and low for an answer on line...I'm wondering if anyone else has an idea. Thank you!

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Heat shields are very flimsy pieces of metal that easily can become bent or knocked loose and cause this. Take the car back to the dealer tell them to fix it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the dealership thinks it's the heat shield making the noise and it's bent, would trying to bend it back into shape still disrupt the air dynamic and cause the noise? The noise was worse driving home. Sounds like I may just need it replaced entirely. The service guy was telling me how much thought was put into the Outback design for noise reduction.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
Yeah, they thought about it a lot. But they also kept making the heat shields out of fortified tinfoil. It's a common complaint on subarus of all vintages. They really can be bent and secured properly regardless of history. At least until rust claims it entirely.

It may require an extra clamp and a test drive or two to prove it, but they ought to be doing that for you.

·
Registered
2013 Black Outback 3.6R w/Special Appearance
26 Posts
Same noise here... I drive 36 miles each way on Texas hwy so anything above 65mph the whistle becomes very pronounced... at 80 its loud. The whistle can change pitch based on crosswinds.. Today in Houston it's blowing 30+mph so the noise was up a few decibels. The car is quiet otherwise so I really want to find the source.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,823 Posts
take your service writers for a demo drive.

Don't pay for it until after another test drive when they call for you to come pick it up.

When they tell you they all do it, tell them they are all broken and need to be fixed - you can start with mine.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited (special appearance) Black 2.5
58 Posts
take your service writers for a demo drive.

Don't pay for it until after another test drive when they call for you to come pick it up.

When they tell you they all do it, tell them they are all broken and need to be fixed - you can start with mine.
Anyone have an update on this?
my OB is doing the same thing... I have heard that it also could be the drive line/drive shaft

1 - 7 of 7 Posts