Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 OB has about 69,000 miles on it. At about 57,000 miles, it started to make a humming noise that has since gotten louder. I was assuming it was a bad wheel bearing, but while reading up on what may cause this noise, I read somewhere that if the tread tire ware from front tires to rear tires is as little as 2/32" it may damage the center differential bearing and could cause this same noise. Does anyone know if this true?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Not just front-to-rear. With ANY AWD vehicle, all tires must be replaced ALL FOUR AT A TIME. Any mismatch in tire diameter may cause the AWD system to think there is tire-slippage and try to engage the AWD system. Obviously, engaging the AWD system when all 4 tires are on pavement can cause undue stress on the AWD components and tear things apart.

Now... to address YOUR specific issue.
If I were you, I would NOT start by being concerned with a problem of the AWD system. Start with the EASY things like tires. Yes, some tires will get VERY noisy as they wear down. Also, a wheel-bearing can cause noise too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Noise is constant. Rev's up as I speed up, but it is the same noise with no difference when turning either way. I wondered about the tire ware only because after getting a flat, I replaced the one tire (same make and model). The other tires had about 57,000 miles, but they were in pretty good shape tread wise. The noise started shortly after that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
njtes
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing