Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XT Limited White and Grey
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I bought a 2005 XT last week and all was good until I drove it home on the highway. 120,000 on the clock.

Issue #1 - "Mode" will not actually move the blend door to the feet or dash vent all the time. I have read enough to know that the servo motor in these go out as the contacts on the spur wheel (inside the motor/servo) wear out and they lose contact at times. I am ok taking apart the dash and replacing it. But, are they two of these that control the mode adjustment or is there only the one in the passenger foot well?

Issue #2 - The radio is doing the glitch and resetting itself dance while driving. Happened yesterday with AC and a CD playing, everything went haywire and I had to turn the car off twice. I am going to pull it apart and do the requisite cleaning, bending of tabs, and grounding the plates together. But my other question lies in the actual "mode"/all buttons. Do people typically report that those go bad or am I right in thinking it is issue #1 above?

Either way I am going to pull the radio out and do my mentioned work. I wanted to see if the servo motor is just a wise idea/go too to tackle the "mode" selection issue I am facing?

Thanks in advance.
Jon

·
Registered
Outback 2009 2.5i Ltd 4EAT NAV
260 Posts
Posts of pictures/details of your future issue #2 work would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so I did the work!!!

A couple of days ago I yanked the radio out of the car. I then proceeded to take it apart and see what I could find.

As mentioned, the "Mode" button was acting up as well as the shorting out/flickering ordeal. So I started with the face plate. I took it apart and started examining it. I immediately noticed an odd sticky residue around the buttons and some other places on the rubber and circuit board. It even appears to be on the face of the buttons as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took rubbing alcohol and cleaned the pads and the circuit board as well wherever a button made contact. I then washed the rubber in soapy water to remove residue and fuzz from the cleaning pads and Q-Tips.

I also cleaned the LCD glass and the button faces as well. Rubbing alcohol works great but be careful as too much rubbing and you have paint come off!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now, on to the real culprit!!! The shorting out issue is one that I was not too keen on making a fix out of. My other Legacy GT didn't encounter this so I was not sure if the "tabs" are really the issue. But, I have to give it a go.

Here are the offending tabs. On my radio/HVAC I only had three of these tabs. What I immediately did not like was the fact that they are not soldered on, rather compression fit with a screw to the board. I toiled over soldering them but decided I would do the clean the residue and bend them trick.

The first two pics are the left and right tabs which are related to the HVAC. You can see that there are separate boards for these components and they have their own tab.

But, they all ground out to the same chassis plate on the radio. Here are the three locations after I sanded them. I took a coarse sanding stick to the areas as well as a medium to smooth it out. I wasn't worried about the look. I then bent the tabs and put everything back together.

Once in the car I tested everything out to make sure I didn't botch anything. Low and behold, everything worked again. lol BUT,..........now the "Mode" button works every time! It may be a placebo but it works now. Maybe that residue is what was hindering a proper electrical connection when the button was pressed?

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the placebo was correct, the "Mode" button doesn't work all the time. So I guess it will need to be the servo/motor swap out for this one.

Again, are there two in the dash (each side) or just the one for the Blend Door?

Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And yesterday the radio started glitching again and did its thing. So my work was for naught.

I have narrowed it down to only happening when I use the CD player though. I wonder if there is a correlation to the CD and a power draw or something?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey O.C.D. Just got my first Subaru (07 Outback) two days ago... My HVAC screen and Stereo screen started flickering yesterday, today there’s just nothing and it intermittently looses controls. I am so disappointed! I have always driven Toyota’s or Lexus but “bought” this one from my step dad. Did you ever come up with a fix for yours?

·
Registered
80 Posts
My '05 player causes the radio head panel to conk out with a loud audio system bang on a few select CD's. Never did find a cure. I've since iTuned-the offending discs onto my phone rather than risk the head unit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts