Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a loud hum/scraping noise coming from my blower when the climate control is on. What am I in for? Does the blower go bad? How hard is it to replace?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,752 Posts
have you checked the cabin air filter? maybe it has degraded/torn and part was sucked into the fan.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,299 Posts
These cars have noisy "blender doors" or something...There are other posts/threads about it. Some call it bubbling, some call it clicking.

BOTH of my cars do it. Once You settle into heat all the time, it might stop. But they seam to carry on for 20-30 seconds after you shut it off. I need to tear into the underside and see whats actually making the noise in my cars...

So far It's like the starter grease squeal thing, I have just been living with it.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R
1,074 Posts
I have a loud hum/scraping noise coming from my blower when the climate control is on. What am I in for? Does the blower go bad? How hard is it to replace?
I've had to replace my blower a few years ago. Made noises just like you describe. If I sped up the fan the the scraping noise would speed up, like a once-per-revolution sound. I bought a replacement fan from Rock Auto. It took about 30-40 minutes to change as I had to contort myself to get face up under the glove compartment to remove the three screws that held it in. I can't remember the cost for the motor. It was less than $100.

If you're hearing noises behind the dash when the fan is off, that's the blend door getting stuck trying to change positions. My car does this now. It's annoying. It's on my list to fix. Just not at the top of it.

I've had a tab opened on my phone on how to fix the blend door noise for weeks. Then my engine blew up so, as I said, bottom of the list. I've linked a howto below:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/sound-inside-dash-turn-off-car-190728p4.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
We had a very noisy fan, replaced it with an aftermarket fan found on Rockauto. I found the bearing to be in bad shape, water would get into the cabin because the windshield drains were blocked. Remove the corner of the wiper cowl (plastic panel, the ends use push pins) and clean the drain so the water does not get into the cabin by leaking on the blower, causing the bearing to seize.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the blend door sound very well. I'm ok with it since the heat and AC seem to work and flow fine.

have you checked the cabin air filter? maybe it has degraded/torn and part was sucked into the fan.
This is 100% what I'm hoping. And my next step.

But I'm glad to hear the fan replace isnt an 8-hour take out the dashboard job or something. I can do that stuff but I'd prefer to sell the thing and start over at that point.
We had a very noisy fan, replaced it with an aftermarket fan found on Rockauto. I found the bearing to be in bad shape, water would get into the cabin because the windshield drains were blocked. Remove the corner of the wiper cowl (plastic panel, the ends use push pins) and clean the drain so the water does not get into the cabin by leaking on the blower, causing the bearing to seize.
I've never seen evidence of moisture in the cabin or in the dash when I changed the cabin filter last but I'll keep my eyes open for that. Thanks.

The sound is definitely more of a constant whooshing sound that speeds and slows with the fan. Like when you're on a plane and the turbines start up. Either something is rubbing on it or the bearing is shot. I'll open it up this weekend and see what I can see by changing the filter and cleaning that area. If that doesn't help I'll look into replacing the fan assembly.

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,084 Posts
It may be as simple as leaves/debris rubbing on the squirrel cage of the blower.

Suggest you search for threads on the subject of changing the blower. Some helpful info contained therein.

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
627 Posts
Sounds like bearing, or debris. If your ac drain ever got plugged this will happen. Easy job to replace other than getting yourself under there.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Didn’t even get in there yet. I ordered a new filter and motor/blower assembly from rockauto for about $45. I’ll just change it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.