246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if you can go from this HVAC control unit:

To this:

And how it would be done?

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Yes. . . If you want to swap your whole dash wiring harness and front body harness and HVAC underdash units.

I'm doing right now it as part of an H6 swap, not because I'm paarticularly fond of auto HVAC, I just don't want to pare out all that wiring and change it.

Not worth it just to get the fancy AC controls.

·
Premium Member
11,899 Posts
NO.

The automatic controls utilize three temperature sensors to determine how the HVAC module controls the temperature inside the car. The ambient temperature sensor, sunload sensor on the dash, your vehicle may not have this, and you see the small "grill" in the auto unit? That feeds to another sensor under the dash. You would need to install the temp sensors, change the motors and replace the module along with rewiring and rewriting the system.

Your manual controls operate the various motor functions for temperature and fan by utilizing a potentiometer for temp and direct control of the fan motor.

Sorry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had the same question. Looks to be much more trouble than it's worth. Thanks y'all. Guess since I can't tinker w/the house right now, I'm spending too much time here looking for easy-kill upgrade projects for the Subie.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Personally I don't like the fancy controls. Tapping a button to cycle through the desired fan speeds is retarded. I much prefer manual controls. Although my tbird has a fan speed dial that doesn't have notches. So it's like a volume controls, you can make very slight adjustments to the fan speed. I love that. But in the tbird, you change the temperature by tapping buttons, so I guess nothing is perfect.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Turning manual knobs like on a 50 year old tv set is very y2k isn't it? Auto just hit auto, set to desired temp and that's it, no need for fan speed control, vent selection control, temp control, guess what its automatic.

·
Registered
173 Posts
lol, ive tried auto before. sometimes i want ice cold air blasting in my face even if the desired temp has already been reached. but on the way to work i want the warm air on my feet, not on my face.

manual control ONLY. i want dials for everything, and a variable control for the fan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Wake
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing