Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another annoying question from a new Outback owner, this one about the HVAC panel illumination. I have green LEDs for the air direction buttons, but nothing else on the panel illuminates at night. The decals for the fan speed don't look translucent, so I'm assuming this is normal?

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts

·
Registered
'90 Legacy '96 Outback
7 Posts
The whole reason I found this forum was when I was looking for a way to fix those burned out little green bulbs for my heater controls. The site on "Scooby Mods" is perfect because it shows the best way to take it all apart. Somebody asked if there was a way to put LED's in place of the bulbs. LED's should last a lifetime without ever burning out. Here's what I did, I bought 3000mcd (brightness) LED's from Radio Shack, they are 1.7volt, 20mA. A 680 ohm resistor has to be soldered in series with the longer lead (anode), and then the leads have to be (tediously) soldered to the board in the correct place....(must check the voltage on the board with power on to see which side of each hole is positive and which is negative. (On the center hole, they were opposite the other two holes.) But if you don't mind soldering in the LED's and resistors, it is a permanent fix, and you can choose whatever color you like for the LED's. I didn't know how bright to go, LED's come in various MCD (luminous intensity) they range from less than 1 to over 18,000. I chose 3,000 because it seemed to be plenty bright when I plugged it in for a test.
Here are a couple of pics that show what I did. It may not be the prettiest job in the world, but it works. It took a little trial and error. I used the plastic insulators off some solderless terminals to fit in the holes in the board to serve as holders for the LED's. There are probably better ways, but I wanted the LED's to sit as far into their prospective places as I could get them - see the pics....

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 OBWL EJ2.5
366 Posts
Awesome. Can you take pictures of it illuminated with the LEDs to give us an idea of how bright 3000mcd is?

:7:

·
Hokey Pokey Champion
'05 Gold OBXT Stg2+
3,594 Posts
phoboyjimmy said:
Awesome. Can you take pictures of it illuminated with the LEDs to give us an idea of how bright 3000mcd is?

:7:
+1

·
Registered
2002 WRX MBP
1,105 Posts
Keep in mind that while LEDs GENERALLY have a long life, they don't necessarily last forever. It looks like a lot of extra work, just to hope you don't have to pull it apart again. How much do the LEDs and resistors cost, are you even saving anything over just grabbing the bulbs at your local Subie dealer?

Oh, and I've checked local parts stores, they have listings for the bulbs, but none have the right bulb. It was a trip to the dealer to get the right ones, the ones the parts stores list for the application aren't even close to being correct. Here, at least, maybe somewhere with different stores could be different.

·
Registered
'90 Legacy '96 Outback
7 Posts
HVAC illuminated....

Well, the photos turn out pretty bad if I try to get the file size much smaller, so I'll try to just post one larger file-sized photo at a time.

I think that 3,000 may almost be too bright for the one on the temperature slide control, but it seems fine for the other two. It's hard to guess these things and get them right. Personally, I think it's fine. You guys will have to play with it and find what works for you...

If I can answer any questions, I'd be happy to.....

~~~~1996 Outback~~~~~

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
SoDakOutback, great post!

You might want to send an email or PM to Peaty and let him know what you've done. He's probably interested in adding your work to the Scoobymods page on this topic.

·
Registered
'97 Mica Ruby Outback
36 Posts
So tonight I am going to try and replace the HVAC lights. But I also noticed that to the left of the steering wheel is dark as well. I know the fog light swith should illuminate, but what about the power mirror controls? Is there any backlighting there besides the tiny orange light in the heater button? Thanks

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Stupid question, to the LEDS still dim like normal bulbs?

The mirror switch doesnt illuminate.

nipper

·
Registered
1996 OBW, 2.5 4EAT
27 Posts
various dash lights

So tonight I took apart various areas of my dash ('96 Outback) to replace seven burnt-out bulbs. The illustrated guide on the link above helped a lot for the HVAC lights, and the Haynes manual helped on the rest.

Here's what I replaced (I bought bulbs at the dealer):

HVAC fan control Part # 72351AC051
HVAC mode/temp 72351AC061 (2 of 'em)
Rear defog illumination 83426AA040
Rear defog ON 83426AC000
4-way flasher illumination 83426AA020
Mirror heater ON 83426FA000

Strange that every bulb is different. Prices ranged from $3.60 to $4.60 each... probably less in the US.

Now I don't have to squint in the dark to see the buttons! :)

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Re: various dash lights

hoosierdaddy said:
So tonight I took apart various areas of my dash ('96 Outback) to replace seven burnt-out bulbs. The illustrated guide on the link above helped a lot for the HVAC lights, and the Haynes manual helped on the rest.

Here's what I replaced (I bought bulbs at the dealer):

HVAC fan control Part # 72351AC051
HVAC mode/temp 72351AC061 (2 of 'em)
Rear defog illumination 83426AA040
Rear defog ON 83426AC000
4-way flasher illumination 83426AA020
Mirror heater ON 83426FA000

Strange that every bulb is different. Prices ranged from $3.60 to $4.60 each... probably less in the US.

Now I don't have to squint in the dark to see the buttons! :)
Is it too late to tell you that there is a generic equivilant 2 bulbs for 1.99?

nipper

·
Registered
1996 OBW, 2.5 4EAT
27 Posts
Yup. I figured 30 bucks at the dealer was the easiest way to go. I know others have used Radio Shack bulbs and LED's etc but I wanted to just pick up the bulbs and get it done. Plus, I generally tend towards OEM parts anyhow... from many years of VW and Audi ownership.

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Legacy Outback
8 Posts
Re: Re: various dash lights

nipper said:

Is it too late to tell you that there is a generic equivilant 2 bulbs for 1.99?

nipper
The little green lights are the onlyones working on mine. i thought it was supposed to look that way and had mounted one of those mini aftermarket decorator interior lights to light up my dash. I never knew the images were suppose to light. Where do you get those cheap ones?

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Re: Re: Re: various dash lights

Donatello said:

The littel green lights are the onlyones working on mine. i though it was supposed to looke that way and had mounted one of those mini let aftermarket decorator interior lights to light up my dash. I never knew the images were suppose to light. Where do you get those cheap ones?
radio shack or any electronics supply house

·
Registered
'99 Outback, 126k mi,'01 Outback 86k mi.
7 Posts
Non responsive temperature mode control

Cool thread, useful.

My mode control at times doesn't react, when this happens, the lights for the buttons (which this thread is about) don't light up. Does this mean I need a new unit?

thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts