Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They just announced it seconds ago at the LA Auto show. They said late 2013. Didnt say model and I wasnt sure if he was talking about a hybrid Forester as he had just mentioned the 2014 Forester release in spring, or some other car.

edit - oops, my post got cut off -
My question was does anyone know any details about this?

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
grrr - ignore this post.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
Subaru Hybrid On Sale in 2014, Won’t Use Toyota Tech | AutoGuide.com News

Subaru is preparing to launch its first every hybrid model in 2013 with an on sale date the next year. Set to be an electrified version of the Legacy sedan at the car’s unveiling, when it arrives in the U.S. the hybrid powertrain could be under the hood of a different vehicle. While the Legacy and Outback are still possible, as a way to improve the mpg rating on some of the automaker’s thirstier models, Subaru of America is also debating adapting the system for a smaller Forester compact crossover or Impreza model to deliver an ultra-efficient model that would sit as a fuel economy leader.

Surprisingly, despite Subaru’s relationship with Toyota (which has become much closer in recent years with the FT-86/BRZ sports car project), Subie won’t rely on the Japanese auto giant’s hybrid technology but is instead developing its own system. Rather than a full hybrid setup like the one Toyota, Ford or Hyundai use where the car can be powered by gas, electricity or a combination of both, the mid-hybrid system will be closer to that used by Honda and Porsche, without the ability to drive on pure electric power.

Previewed in the Subaru Hybrid Tourer Concept (above) look for a lithium ion battery pack with an electric motor between the turbocharge 2.0-liter 4-cylidner engine and the CVT transmission.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Sweet, Turbo hybrid! Are there any other examples of that? Subaru would be a leader I expect.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Wow, these gull-wing doors look quite appealing.

If you find that appealing, you must live in a place where it never rains or snows.... plus:

You couldn't enter the car in your garage or in any normal public parking garage with a low ceiling.

You could never use a roof rack, since there is practically no "roof".

They would be very difficult to seal properly, and loud on the highway.

They would be overly heavy and require electric assist, which is slow and problematic.

The cabin would dump all it's conditioned air every time someone used a door.

I'm calling those doors "just another pure stupid design exercise".

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
If you find that appealing, you must live in a place where it never rains or snows.... plus:

You couldn't enter the car in your garage or in any normal public parking garage with a low ceiling.

You could never use a roof rack, since there is practically no "roof".

They would be very difficult to seal properly, and loud on the highway.

They would be overly heavy and require electric assist, which is slow and problematic.

I'm calling those doors "just another pure stupid design exercise".
Plus the would never meet side impact standards Suaru has come to be known for. Heck we can't even get the cool looking small mirrors they use on prototypes...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts