Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Outback 2.2L/auto stone stock
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock tires are a tiny 195/?/15...

Our car lives on a working farm. Needs to be field capable as well as on road capable. Ice, snow, wet grass, gumbo mud, dry dusty silt depending on the season. It's the only AWD on the farm...

My preference is something at least as good as the OLD (American made, not Maxxis/Cheng Shin crap) Buckshot Mudders, but, it's the wife's car, needs to be a tad more "civilized"...

Grabber? Desert Dueler? Wrangler?

The current set of Yokohama street tires (old Les Schwab from the west coast specials) are about shot. Open to viable ideas, but she'll only let me raise the car a couple inches, max.

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,940 Posts
The General Grabber AT2 is probably your best bet for something that will clear but do relatively well in the mud. If you're looking for the best all around tire for all the stuff you're talking about, I would recommend the Yokohama Geolandar ATS. Its going to be way more civilized on the road, do way better on ice (especially if you have them siped), and only be marginally worse in the mud department. I have owned both tires on my 2004 and definitely prefer the Geolandars.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i
1,148 Posts
I have the General Grabber AT2 and they work good on dirt. The tread pattern is modeled after the BFG All-terrain T/A and they are much cheaper.

Since you have 15" rims the BFG All-terrain T/A are available in LT215/75R15 (8.4" x 27.8") and LT235/75R15 (9.1" x 29" ) if you feel like cutting/ rolling the fenders.

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
Stock tires are a tiny 195/?/15...

Our car lives on a working farm. Needs to be field capable as well as on road capable. Ice, snow, wet grass, gumbo mud, dry dusty silt depending on the season. It's the only AWD on the farm...

My preference is something at least as good as the OLD (American made, not Maxxis/Cheng Shin crap) Buckshot Mudders, but, it's the wife's car, needs to be a tad more "civilized"...

Grabber? Desert Dueler? Wrangler?

The current set of Yokohama street tires (old Les Schwab from the west coast specials) are about shot. Open to viable ideas, but she'll only let me raise the car a couple inches, max.
Maxxis Buckshot is far more agressive that you will ever need on a Subaru. I got 40k out of my last set on my Jeep.. they do really well for a mud tire.. down side is the soft side wall. I ate them up on the rocks. They are no cheap tires.. IMO No Chinese crap tire you thinking. Maxxis is a American Name brand tire. Just like BFG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts