Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5 CVT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really happy with my outback 2.5i CVT with all weather/ harman kardon audio package. Save me more money on gas and plenty of room.

My ex 2010 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 is heavier and take lot of gas. I don't need 4x4 very much, only in winter or minor offroad. I don't use the pick up bed very much.

I am daily driver and I average 17 to 20 mpg on Tacoma depending on weather and traffic. My OB average is 27 mpg.

AWD is awesome, better than my mom 2009 Rav4 4WD. I don't like her 4WD works.

JBL audio system in Tacoma is about the same as my harman kardon audio in my OB. But i wish to have JBL speakers, maybe I will upgrade that to my car.

I am 6'2" tall and have plenty leg room in my driver seat. Love the 10 way power driver seat. In my Tacoma, I would not let any adult sit behind me because I do not want to move the driver seat forward. Now I do let adult sit behind me in my OB without move my seat forward because of more rear leg room and reclining the rear seat. I test that myself to sit the rear and plenty of room.

The way I drive OB is better than my Tacoma. Good pick up when I press gas to cruise or pass some cars on the freeway. Handle very well over bump, pothole and suspension is softer than Tacoma. Like the way CVT does than standard 4 or 6 speed car. No problem with CVT on minor offroad at my grandma's farm property. Great to drive around snow and some mud and bumps and curbs.

I used to own 2000 Subaru Legacy GT sedan and 2006 Legacy sedan. I like my outback better because of more options and more interior room and exterior is much bigger. Plus ground clearance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Glad to hear. I owned a 2007 Dbl Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Tacoma and was thinking about getting another one, but went with the OB instead. I have a son and there just wasn't much room in the Tacoma with him in there. I'm in love with my Outback and so glad I went with it over another Tacoma.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I just traded in a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel with 35x12.5 tires. While the truck had a ton of power, it was no longer practical since I became a dad. While leaving a pick up can be a disadvantage at times, it is smarter most of the time (for me at least). Congrats on your choice.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV CVT
18 Posts
I just got rid of a pickup, too, a '96 Ford Ranger. Actually, it finally gave out, after nearly 400K miles. I looked at getting another pickup, but I decided they are actually fairly useless unless you're carrying either plywood or sheetrock, in which case you'd need a full size truck with an 8' bed, or carrying dirty stuff you wouldn't want to put in a wagon, like dirt or cinder blocks or bales of hay. Other than that, they are really inconvenient.

You can't carry any passengers in that space, so if you're not carrying a load, it's wasted space. 4-door pickups have short beds which are really useless - I mean really, I saw a 3/4-ton Chevy with 4 doors and a 4' box the other day - 4' box, useless - whoopee, I can haul a few bags of groceries with a V8 and 14mpg :)

The Outback has a longer "bed" than my Ranger, and I can fold up the seats and carry passengers if I'm not schlepping all my music gear around. It's way more comfortable, and it's *much* better in foul weather (my Ranger floated like a beachball on rainy roads). It gets 50% better mileage - I'll save $60/month just on gas! It's *so* much more useful than a pickup truck. Unless I'm hauling sheetrock, plywood, dirt, cinder blocks, or bales of hay, stuff like that, which I don't. Way more people buy pickup trucks who don't really need them than those who do.

That's my theory, anyway... My Outback is getting delivered tomorrow (Friday) so we'll see if I'm right :)

-James

·
Registered
18 Posts
I traded my 2011 f-150 ecco boost in on a 2013 outback two weeks ago. I have always had trucks but i really don't haul items like I use to. After a lot of thinking I'm sure I can haul what I need in the back of the out back. My wife has a 2009 outback and it has not given her any problems at all. She is the worst driver in the snow but since she has owned an outback she zips around town with no problems what so ever.
So far I love this car and I may never go back to owning a truck. I think I am now in the subi cult.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i CVT
468 Posts
I went from a '95 S10 to a '12 outback. Really does make a lot of sense especially when a child and dog. The fuel economy increase is a nice bonus too. To haul things like sheet rock, plywood, and mulch I got a 4x8 trailer which didn't cost much. Now I get the best of both worlds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts