Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited w/ EyeSight
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We drove about 450 miles in I-5 traffic and every 3-4 minutes that **** thing yelled out "Traffic Jam Ahead" when there was no traffic jam in sight and when I was sitting stationary on the freeway. The traffic was not quite enough to give me an aneurism, but the NAV system did all it could to push me over the edge...

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
My Kenwood has an option to turn off the traffic notification, I would think that the OEM version would do the same even though Fujitsu is the builder of your unit.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
Yes you can turn the traffic bit off, I did after the first day!. Unfortunately I can't remember where it is in the menu to help you out but it is in the settings somewhere.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried to turn the nav traffic off, but then it does not seem to use the traffic info to adjust the rout. That feature saved me close to an hour yesterday due to an accident.

I just don't see a reason for this thing to say the same thing every 3 minutes...

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
Funny to come home and read this today. I was driving for three hours listening to my **** Nav system tell me there was a traffic jam ahead. Not once in the dozens and dozens of times it was warned me was there any sort of traffic jam. Nada. I tried to turn it off but couldn't find the setting. Just another common sense thing that Subaru ignored in their Nav implementation.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gave up and did not subscribe to the nav traffic now that my free trial is over. I have a mount for my iPhone and use Waze and couldn't be happier.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
I've hated that message too, but I finally found that if I turn off "Flow events" and "Other", it stopped. At least so far it has worked. Nonetheless, I use Waze all the time too. Much better traffic and speed trap info

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've hated that message too, but I finally found that if I turn off "Flow events" and "Other", it stopped. At least so far it has worked. Nonetheless, I use Waze all the time too. Much better traffic and speed trap info
oh that sounds great - I'll try to find that in the menus - I hope it changes just the alerting / annoying voice but still uses the traffic for finding the best route - can you confirm ? (and if you remember which menu)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I HATE the Outback 2013 Nav system. I have run it simultaneously with my portable Garmin (from my previous car) and it always takes about 20 minutes longer to get to my destination. When I take the Garmin shorter route, it doesn't adjust. It just keeps telling me to turn around and go back to its original (longer) route --and adding additional time until I shut it off by going through the "cancel route" routine! What a pain! I think Subaru should supply me with a replacement Nav system that does the job. I spent too much for this car to have this ridiculous Nav system.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 Limited
13 Posts
Agreed the OB Navigation is terrible

I also hate the navigation system in my 2013 Outback. It's so quirky as to be useless. We had to put our old Garmin on the dashboard.

I love a lot of stuff about the car, however, the only good thing I have to say about the navigation is the voice "CANCEL" command works.

I am really, really sorry I spent the extra money for a car with this package as it is essentially useless. We have had the car over 6 months, and today I spent over 45 minutes trying to get the system to add a customized route to the "favorites" section. I gave up in disgust. I setup & saved the route in the Garmin in about 5 minutes.

What's really strange about the system is the choice of options depends on how you got into the screen. In other words, the same screen will present different options. :gasp:

Man is this software convoluted! I would PAY for a decent school that could teach me how to use it. If anyone know of one, please share the info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried all the settings, I paid $100 to upgrade to "aha" hoping the newer software wouldn't be as bad, still the same "traffic jam ahead" and generally slow/unresponsive which gets worse as you play music from iphone UI - sad as everything else on the car is great (specially love the EyeSight) - well waze works too - wish I could display waze on the touchscreen

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Subaru is not the only one with this problem. Lexus/Toyota has the same problem.
Any person with any slight foreign accent or dialect will have hard time using this feature.
Voice recognition software begins with a database of pre-programmed sound patterns. However, actual user speech varies. A user's pronunciation of a given word can change, the quality of the microphone gathering the sound patterns may be poor, and ambient noise can all alter the sound pattern for a particular word. Voice recognition software works best only after the software has gathered data about each user's speech patterns. This means that the software has an introductory learning curve; the software becomes most effective with time and initially makes many mistakes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts