Registered
2004 Subaru Outback, 2005 Subaru Outback Ltd, and a 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX TR
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Subaru Outback LTD
4 Cyl 2.5L
Automatic Transmission
135,000 Miles

Pulled the motor for a head gasket job (have done this 4 times). I dropped the heads off to get resurfaced and when I got them back I had 2 parts in the box (the machinist removed some stuff from the heads) that I couldn't figure out where to put back (see attached pictures).

One is a metal pipe with a 90 degree angle and one is a small sensor and accompanying bolt. The pipe was definitely in the box I got back from the machinist, the sensor may not have been in the box (it was right next to it). Part of me thinks the pipe is some random part that the machinist accidentally dropped on my box. The sensor, I'm sure goes somewhere. I can't find any spot for it on the heads or block. All other sensors have been reinstalled (e.g. the couple on each cylinder head).

Hoping someone can help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
4,996 Posts
Just a stab in the dark, but the angled tube looks like the inlet tube on top of the power steering pump...

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,567 Posts
The pipe is an oil return tube from a turbo 2.5L head (W25, D25, B25).

The sensor is the standard-issue Subaru camshaft position sensor, located behind the cam sprocket on the driver's side for SOHC heads (L25, V25).

Could also be an AVCS cam sensor from a 2004-2005 EJ255/EJ257 (16-bit ECU).

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback, 2005 Subaru Outback Ltd, and a 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX TR
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pipe is an oil return tube from a turbo 2.5L head (W25, D25, B25).

The sensor is the standard-issue Subaru camshaft position sensor, located behind the cam sprocket on the driver's side for SOHC heads (L25, V25).

Could also be an AVCS cam sensor from a 2004-2005 EJ255/EJ257 (16-bit ECU).
Thanks! I couldn't place the pipe at all. And the sensor must be an extra as well, because all my sensors (e.g. camshaft position sensor) are reinstalled.

I'm guessing the machinist mixed someone else's parts in with mine...I'll have to call him and let him know. Thanks!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,318 Posts
Thanks! I couldn't place the pipe at all. And the sensor must be an extra as well, because all my sensors (e.g. camshaft position sensor) are reinstalled.

I'm guessing the machinist mixed someone else's parts in with mine...I'll have to call him and let him know. Thanks!
well, I guess that is better then like in the end of "doc hollywood" when Michael J Fox is leaving Grady,
and the mechanics give him a small box of parts for his 1956 Porsche 356 speedster ....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts