Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2021 OBXT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RS-R confirmed that their 2020 Outback lowering springs will fit an XT, so I figured I'd give it a try. It's a bit lower than I expected, but the XT weighs about 200lbs more than the 2.5i, so that's to be expected. My totally unscientific report is that there are four fingers of gap in the rear and three and a half in the front. I had the work done my mechanic and justified my laziness by the fact that I'd need to take it to them for an alignment anyway (and as my work vehicle, my business covers the basic maintenance I needed as well).

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

The effect is pretty dramatic behind the wheel and the vehicle is much flatter in turns and lets me really enjoy twisty roads in a new way. The tires are Michelin CrossClimates in 235/55r18. I believe this give me a bit more grip and stiffness than the stock tires, but I switched wheels/tires as soon as I drove off the lot, so I can't really compare.

I am a little concerned that the front strut may be operating a little low in its effect range and will shorten the life span, but hopefully there will be a bilstein option by the time it gives up. The ride quality is a bit stiffer, but barely noticable. I will re-check all the tightening torques and probably loosen and re-tighten the front control arms at the current height. I forgot to ask the mechanic to cut the bump stops down a little, which I usually do when with a mild lowering, but so far I'm not bottoming out anywhere. I've driven on all manners of road and the highway rider seems particularly improved in terms of stability.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT, Primitive Lift, LP Plates
43 Posts
That's awesome! No lie, this makes me even more salty Subaru has not brought the Levorg to the US. I would love to have an adventure wagon and a rally wagon daily driver.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
903 Posts
If they brought the Levorg here and branded it as WRX Wagon it would sell well.
I personally love wagons, but there's no evidence a wagon would sell in significant numbers in the US. VW and Buick both tried recently, and failed. I think I saw a Regal on the road once.

Consider the sales numbers of the pure wagon '05-'09 Outback versus the years following. Even more telling is how few '05-'09 Legacy wagons they sold, a fraction of the already small Outback numbers.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,676 Posts
Lots of people (myself included) miss the WRX hatchback and a powerful WRX-worthy Levorg I think would do well, and it would compete with things like the CX30 Turbo.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited
622 Posts
Looks 👍good. The colors and wheels blend swell. :D

·
Registered
2021 OBXT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks 👍good. The colors and wheels blend swell. :D
Thanks, I did the Onyx grill and removed/replaced the front and rear lower silver "skid plates" Next up is vinyl on the the chrome window trim and greyed out logos.

·
Registered
2021 OBXT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lots of people (myself included) miss the WRX hatchback and a powerful WRX-worthy Levorg I think would do well, and it would compete with things like the CX30 Turbo.
If it wasn't for the most offensive plastic overfenders in the world, I'd probably be driving a CX30.

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT in Crystal White Pearl
511 Posts
I like the wheels. I hate all the black ones you see now but think I could live w/ the gunmetal gray. Noticing your mud splatter there, do yourself a favor and get rid of the worthless OEM mudflap. Replace w/ the WeatherTech. They extend down further but not as much as the off roading Rokblox. Easy to install and actually work.

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
599 Posts
Looks great! Now just add some Bilsteins B6s, front and rear urethane bushings, a front strut tower brace, and a Perrin lockdown dampener, and you will be amazing how well these wagons can handle. And yes, put some Rally Armors behind those wheels. ;)

·
Registered
Green 2020 Touring XT Outback
341 Posts
The people who are buying new cars today (generally those 45+) don’t buy wagons. This will change in the next 10 years, i hope. even the Europeans aren’t bringing wagons here anymore.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I personally love wagons, but there's no evidence a wagon would sell in significant numbers in the US. VW and Buick both tried recently, and failed. I think I saw a Regal on the road once.

Consider the sales numbers of the pure wagon '05-'09 Outback versus the years following. Even more telling is how few '05-'09 Legacy wagons they sold, a fraction of the already small Outback numbers.
That is because by and large, automakers selling in the US have tied their hands by advertising wagons as family-mobiles with minimal fun-factor, EXCEPT Mercedes, Audi and Subaru, and now the lovely Jaguar wagon, all BIG buck cars (except the Subaru). In the US, marketers are still caught in the 'Vista-Cruiser' mode, and US drivers like to sit up high as they poke their smartphones and GPS units. The late, departed Dodge Magnum (Hemi anyone?) was an exception, but its brand reliablity at the time was not the best. Go to Europe and wagons are more popular.

For practical purposes, wagons have a longer, lower cargo area and actually carry more than their equivalent class of SUV. They also have a better ride due to the longer wheelbase, something I really noticed going to the Outback from a 2 row Santa Fe. A friend who had a Jeep Cherokee, replaced it with a VW Passat AWD wagon and could not believe the more usable cargo space and ease of loading. A WRX was one of my bucket list cars until the small wagon-like hatch version was dropped.

I like my Outback, which to me is a wagon-like SUV (I consider SUV to be more a marketing term since 2WD versions are offered by many makers). I like its ground clearance, and really like not needing a ladder to see its roof, but the OP's lowered car is very appealing to my eye.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like it. Wish I could buy one already like this. When we stopped at the Subaru dealer last year to take a look at the Outback I asked the sales person if they had the "not designed by an insecure man-child version" aka, a regular looking wagon. Sadly he said they canceled the Legacy wagon. I have since accepted my Macho-Man wagon but long for a normal height car. I wanted the Regal Wagon but no dealer had one in stock to drive.

·
Registered
2021 OBXT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can someone measure the distance from the center of their axle to the bottom of the fender front and rear (and both sides?) I'll do the same, I'm curious how much actual drop this is.

·
Premium Member
‘22 Geezer Blue Wilderness
174 Posts
It look great high, it looks great low. Some like it in the middle.

This looks great!

Love that the Outback can facilitate the “different strokes for different folks,” platitude.

·
Registered
2021 OBXT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One thought for anyone else feeling adventurous...

Historically Outbacks have gained about 3" in height over Legacys through a relatively even split of spacer, spring and strut. If this hold true for our generation, the best way to lower about an inch is to install Legacy Struts/Shocks. The Legacy is about 200lbs lighter, so the result might be slightly underdampened, but if Bilstein makes a B6 for our gen, that would more than cover the difference.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts