Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This was underneath an 03 Legacy SE wagon I sold recently. Never saw a cover like that on a Subaru. . . not even a WRX.

They're usually really boring and look like this:

Guess I'm gonna have to start buying more Legacies!

(probably don't need it, it just appeals to the l337 auto nerd in me)

·
Registered
523 Posts

This was underneath an 03 Legacy SE wagon I sold recently. Never saw a cover like that on a Subaru. . . not even a WRX.
Actually, I noticed that the temperature in the rear differential in both my Subaru's is about 20F higher than the temperature in wheel bearings. Therefore, putting fins in the rear differential makes sense in providing more dissipation of heat.

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Absolutely. . . I've just never seen an OEM finned rear diff cover. . . let alone on a lowly Legacy wagon. This is the sort of thing I'd expect to see on an STi. . . and apparently it's an aftermarket item there.

·
Super Moderator
25,277 Posts
Absolutely. . . I've just never seen an OEM finned rear diff cover. . . let alone on a lowly Legacy wagon. This is the sort of thing I'd expect to see on an STi. . . and apparently it's an aftermarket item there.
possibly a issue of one or more of the following.

"customer wants car back ASAP, and is wiling to pay whatever the cost is, (even if no other cheaper typical alternatives are offered or explored)."

someone looked up the gear ratio, and pulled that part new or used.

or someone delivered the race part on the shelf, vs. the plain jane that was next to it.

like if someone ordered a 351 Windsor engine, and got a 351 Modified race engine. ....as they were just all sitting together.

Maybe you should have pulled that "thing" off there, and swapped on a plain jane.

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I probably would have but customer was on his way for the car, I only jacked it up to swap wheels. If I would have noticed it on the way in I might have swapped it for an 'upgraded' H6 outback VLSD and shelved the nice finned one.

I need to get with the new owner in a few days anyway, might see if he wants to trade. Older missionary couple, sorta doubt they're the type to pull the front axles and turn it into a drift tank and thus benefit from a finned rear diff cover.

Posted the same pic to the definitive source for all weird things Subaru: NASIOC. . . well, them and @rkrenicki. We'll see if anyone else has seen one.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Perrin makes (made?) a finned cover for the R160 series of diffs, but I haven't seen that one before... Where is the fill plug? On the upper right side?

·
Registered
620 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,277 Posts
I just found this notation on Off Road subarus:

OffRoo'd FAQ - Off Road - Ultimate Subaru Message Board

..." '00 and newer Subaru Foresters and Legacys are available with 4.44 R-160s (open or viscous LSD), with rumors pointing to the finned rear cover being a clue to the identity of the LSD differentials. "...

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, turns out that it is OEM. I found one for sale here from a 2002 Legacy L: 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 Subaru Legacy Rear End Carrier Pumpkin Differential | eBay

According to Opposedforces.com it was on 2000-2002 Legacy L and Legacy Brighton only. The part number is 38300AC130.

That explains why I havent come across it, as I focus on 2003-2004 and only GT or Outback for earlier years.
Nice.

Yeah I figured it was OEM, just puzzled by why they chose to implement it on those models and not the higher priced, fancier GT/Outback.

Regardless I'm gonna have to have one now. Bonus is it's a straight swap from 4cyl auto Legacy to 6cyl Outback. . .same ratio (4.11).

Looks like you also get increased oil capacity with that cover.

·
Registered
49 Posts
that pdf in the link said:
Increased capacity is ideal for use in competitive motorsports or
overall aggressive driving to ensure LSD and nal drive longevity.
Protect your investment! The increased oil volume promotes heat
build up and dissipation where the uid keeps the moving
components well lubricated at all times.
When I changed my diff oil, I used ramps for a few extra inches of elbow room while breaking the rusty plugs loose. Then I put the car back on a level surface before I drained and filled the oil. When I opened the fill plug, oil came out right away, and I jumped to the conclusion that the last person to fill it had done it with the rear end up on ramps.

So I've been wondering about it since then. It sounds like more oil in the diff helps keep things a little cooler. Would that also hold true if it meant raising the rear end at an angle so you can pour an extra .2 quarts into the OEM diff?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Yea the 03 Legacy SE I was working on today, had the same cover. Never seen it before either. I actually googled it and that's I found this thread. :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
25,277 Posts
Yea the 03 Legacy SE I was working on today, had the same cover. Never seen it before either. I actually googled it and that's I found this thread. :smile2:
this forum does churn out the material

·
Registered
110 Posts
anyone got one of these covers for sale. i'd rather not buy the whole rear assembly that i don't want or need just for the cover.. been following this for awhile..

got a couple of emails out to local yards so we shall see

·
Registered
850 Posts
I just found this notation on Off Road subarus:

OffRoo'd FAQ - Off Road - Ultimate Subaru Message Board

..." '00 and newer Subaru Foresters and Legacys are available with 4.44 R-160s (open or viscous LSD), with rumors pointing to the finned rear cover being a clue to the identity of the LSD differentials. "...
I have an 03 Legacy SE, with the finned rear cover. How can I confirm if the rear diff has LSD, and what type of fluid should I be using in the front & rear?

75w90 GL5 ??

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nice eye, nice catch! I believe it will go on my to do list as well!

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
I have an 03 Legacy SE, with the finned rear cover. How can I confirm if the rear diff has LSD, and what type of fluid should I be using in the front & rear?

75w90 GL5 ??
To my knowledge only GTs and Outbacks got limited slip rear. Not sure on the gear oil.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts