Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 OB, NA, nearly 178K on the clock. The Blue Beast.

Warning: this post doesn't really have a point.

I just like writing and connecting with people, even if it's in cyberspace.

So the other morning, it was like 52 degrees F, and raining. I'm parked at a 7-11 getting coffee (two extra large Columbians, with half-n-half and sugar, and does it get any better than that?), and I come out, and...

Imagine my shock and horror when I get back into my car and turn it on, and turn on the blower / defroster, and see my windshield solid grey with fog, and I can't see out. And it doesn't clear.

It was not good. Wiping it as I drive, reet, reet, reet?

I spent the next few days clearing my windshield with high tech paper towels. Not very dignified I must say, and not very safe.

So the (new) shop tells me I need a new relay switch.

It's on order. Gonna have that put in, along with two new reverse lights.

Also had them do an oil change, tire rotation, new air filter, and new license plate bulb (in the rear). Should be good-to-go for like six months. Something like that.

Hope the relay switch clears things up.

Anyway, time to shower and shave, and see a pretty lady.

Have a great night, y'all.

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
724 Posts
FinnMcCool,

Relay switch for what?

If the windshield fogs up, the AC is not running or coming on to remove the water vapour from the air.

If the relay in question fires up the AC compressor ... then it would make sense.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FinnMcCool,

Relay switch for what?

If the windshield fogs up, the AC is not running or coming on to remove the water vapour from the air.

If the relay in question fires up the AC compressor ... then it would make sense.
This is not a Subaru dealer; it's a well-known shop that specializes in exhaust and AC. But they do lots of other stuff also.

Not sure if I'm allowed to mention their name here.

Anyway, the fellow there told me that the relay switch essentially turns on the compressor. And my compressor is not being turned on. He did a diagnostic test, and the part will cost about $30. Looks a bit like a cube, and I believe it gets plugged into the unit.

I think the whole job will cost me about $110.

Y'all think something sounds fishy here?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,069 Posts
Hmmmmm, The only time I ever had this issue was a leaking heater core! Do you smell a hint of antifreeze...sweet smell?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmmm, The only time I ever had this issue was a leaking heater core! Do you smell a hint of antifreeze...sweet smell?
No sir, no smells of any kind. And the blower still works - it blows air onto the windshield. But doesn't help when it's raining, and the windshield fogs up. Not getting that good dehumidified air.

The fellow at the shop was confident this would fix things. I guess we'll know on Friday! Because that's when I'm bringing it in to be fixed.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
966 Posts
No sir, no smells of any kind. And the blower still works - it blows air onto the windshield. But doesn't help when it's raining, and the windshield fogs up. Not getting that good dehumidified air..
And you have the heat turned on full blast?

Another test you can do is to simply turn on the A/C. No cold air? Compressor is not running. If you get cold air, your foggy windshield is not due to a non-operational compressor.

You don't show your location in your profile so I don't know if you can test the A/C without dying of exposure. Is your screen name based on Finland? :wink2:

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
724 Posts
FinnMcCool,

Yes, a relay exists in the electrical feed line to the clutch of the AC compressor. If it goes bad, the AC compressor will not turn on = no AC or defrosting of the humidity on your windshield.

It is a common part, and it is not uncommon for them to go bad. They are easy to replace, as they simply unplug from your fuse box under the hood, and are replaced with a new one, for about $30.

I replaced the same relay in my wife's last Lexus. Easy fix, and takes all of 2 minutes to change and check out.

Look for a cube in the fuse box that is labeled " Magnet Clutch", "AC Compressor", or similar. Look at its colour and the numbers written on its top. If there is another of the same relay in the fuse box (there may be 4 or 5 that are the same) you can swap one of the others for the AC one, turn on the car and see if the AC compressor now works, and see if you have cold air from the AC vents after 30 seconds or so. If the AC now works, you've found your fix, and you can buy one at any auto parts store by giving them your old one for parts numbers lookup.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Or make sure recirc button is off so you bring out fresh outside air, add a little heat and clear the windshield! Just like we all did before a/c boosted defrost. And you know that below a certain temp in winter the a/c compressor won't come on in defrost anyway.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And you have the heat turned on full blast?

Another test you can do is to simply turn on the A/C. No cold air? Compressor is not running. If you get cold air, your foggy windshield is not due to a non-operational compressor.

You don't show your location in your profile so I don't know if you can test the A/C without dying of exposure. Is your screen name based on Finland? :wink2:
Not Finland; Finn McCool is a hero from Irish mythology. I'm 100% Irish, 100% American, and 100% crazy. And that pretty much covers it. :wink2:

Also, I like your car (as pictured): two-tone blue & silver. Looks like my car, except I don't have the fancy chrome wings in the grill. But I like my grill. It's simple and rugged looking.

Also, I put five-spoke alloys on all four corners. Very cool, very sporty. Love em.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FinnMcCool,

Yes, a relay exists in the electrical feed line to the clutch of the AC compressor. If it goes bad, the AC compressor will not turn on = no AC or defrosting of the humidity on your windshield.

It is a common part, and it is not uncommon for them to go bad. They are easy to replace, as they simply unplug from your fuse box under the hood, and are replaced with a new one, for about $30.

I replaced the same relay in my wife's last Lexus. Easy fix, and takes all of 2 minutes to change and check out.

Look for a cube in the fuse box that is labeled " Magnet Clutch", "AC Compressor", or similar. Look at its colour and the numbers written on its top. If there is another of the same relay in the fuse box (there may be 4 or 5 that are the same) you can swap one of the others for the AC one, turn on the car and see if the AC compressor now works, and see if you have cold air from the AC vents after 30 seconds or so. If the AC now works, you've found your fix, and you can buy one at any auto parts store by giving them your old one for parts numbers lookup.
This sounds very close to my experience. The shop is charging me $30 for the part.

And this explains why they're charging me for the "diagnostic" fee, and not for labor, lol.

Ah, well....we live and learn.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Or make sure recirc button is off so you bring out fresh outside air, add a little heat and clear the windshield! Just like we all did before a/c boosted defrost. And you know that below a certain temp in winter the a/c compressor won't come on in defrost anyway.
Great info! I'll keep that in mind.

Also, I didn't know the compressor taps out in low temps. Here in the northeast US, it sometimes gets below zero, Fahrenheitly speaking.

Any idea as to what temp the compressor taps out?

Many thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts