Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5 cvt, ice silver
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home the other night (the wife was driving) on a two lane hw when an oncoming car smacked a skunk driving it into our lane while it was spraying it's juice?....anyways I was not quite awake and didn't think
a whole lot about it but there was definitely an odor!.....the bottom line here is I didn't check the front of the car until the next day. Now the stuff the skunk sprayed was on the headlite, the front bumper and the the chrome grill......I was able (with much rubbing) to remove it from the headlite cover and any of the chrome pieces BUT! I cannot remove it from any of the painted surfaces!....it looks like it actually penetrated the clear-coat leaving amber colored stains! and it stands out against the Ice-Silver color of my OB.....at this point I've tried alot of different things
(even gasoline) with no success.....anyone have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
wow - you might try a 'claybar'. Get a name brand and don't over do it.

As for ideas of a cleanser - I dunno, maybe ammonia, but I'd be tempted to try most exotic cleansers/solvents in some hidden area first to make sure the paint isn't affected.

you could call some bodyshops and see if they'd suggest anything.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
This is going to sound very very wrong LOL

Living on the ranch the **** dogs would find a skunk now and then. The only thing that works is douche. I advise that you send your wife in after it given when a guy buys like 3 or 4 of them they really suspect you have a serious personal problem. ;-) Oh and your wife will probably not want to purchase a few of these at the local store where people might know her. LOL

And yes it works to get rid of the skunk spray

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Though I have only used it on dogs - so not sure how paint friendly it might be do a little test spot first. The spray is a nasty oil which makes it crazy hard to get rid of.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited--Sky Blue Metallic
766 Posts
This is going to sound very very wrong LOL

Living on the ranch the **** dogs would find a skunk now and then. The only thing that works is dushe. I advise that you send your wife in after it given when a guy buys like 3 or 4 of them they really suspect you have a serious personal problem. ;-) Oh and your wife will probably not want to purchase a few of these at the local store where people might know her. LOL

And yes it works to get rid of the skunk spray
I suspect that subiesailor is referring to douche (feminine hygiene) products, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I think that his idea is worth a try. After all, if it is safe to use on human body parts, it can't be corrosive or potentially damaging--unlike many commercial cleaning products.
:17:

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I suspect that subiesailor is referring to douche (feminine hygiene) products, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I think that his idea is worth a try. After all, if it is safe to use on human body parts, it can't be corrosive or potentially damaging--unlike many commercial cleaning products.
:17:
LOL yep sorry about that
HA HA

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Hey BlueSpruce - If you do that - please do not post back that you ended up washing your whole car with it and your car is the best it has ever looked and the paint is just fantastic. Last thing I want is for everyone to be douching their cars and telling everyone Subiesailor came up with the idea ha ha.

Good luck. I freaking hate skunks I've had to deal with the clean up FAR FAR too many times.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,284 Posts
If all else fail, Try "skin-so-soft" from Avon. that thing will strip any thing out...

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,284 Posts
Hey BlueSpruce - If you do that - please do not post back that you ended up washing your whole car with it and your car is the best it has ever looked and the paint is just fantastic. Last thing I want is for everyone to be douching their cars and telling everyone Subiesailor came up with the idea ha ha.
QUOTE]

if it don;t work, your neighbor will start referring you as the "douche bag that douches his car"......sorry, just can't resist!!!

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
Ummm, claim for Uninsured Motorist?<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Google skunk spray on dogs remedies.<O:p</O:p
IIRC hydrogen peroxide + baking soda + dish soap and etc concoction. Read up on hazards, I definitely wouldn’t combine this in a closed container (use only what you’ll need, test it first, do not store and all that…).<O:p</O:p
Hey S.Sailor, what’s in (chemical properties) the feminine product? How does it work?<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I never bothered to look. Something that someone at some point along the way found to be the cure for skunk. My guess is the PH and whatever is in it reacts with the spray and neutralizes the stink.

I can't tell you how many canned tomato baths I've been through with dogs before this solution to the issue was found. I will however say it does work and better than all the wifes tales stuff I've done over the years. The Peroxide doesn't work by the way but it does clean the dog up however they will still stink.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
The dogs will still stink because it’s basically a penetrating chemical attack. It’s interesting a skunk spray is potent enough to affect an impervious car body.<O:p</O:p
What I should’ve said, maybe you can ask the pharmacist how the wash works? :D<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I was just thinking spray bottle with some wash in it and the car would be fine. Assuming its not anything that would damage the paint. The oil is tough to get off and one would assume that its all over the front of the car so even washing your not going to get all of it washed off but - if this stuff cuts the smell down you can at least get rid of that.

·
Registered
Black 2010 OB 2.5i Premium CVT
1,409 Posts
:lurk:

What a great read......this needs stickied!!!

:19::19::19::19::19::19::19::19:

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
'When your car has that not-so-fresh feeling.'

Be sure to drive it through the bide....I mean car wash after cleaning.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Hey S.Sailor, what’s in (chemical properties) the feminine product? How does it work?<o:p

I think it's vinegar.
PH value in the vinegar counteracts the acid in the skunk spray perhaps?
</o

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
I think it's vinegar.
PH value in the vinegar counteracts the acid in the skunk spray perhaps?
Yep, (traditionally) it's vinegar -- a.k.a. acetic acid. Low pH.

No idea about the pH of skunk spray, but if memory serves, the
stinky chemical is methyl mercaptan (for what that's worth :).

Looby (escaped chemist)

·
Registered
Black 2010 OB 2.5i Premium CVT
1,409 Posts
:lurk:

Yep, keep it going.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
Guys, he is not trying to remove the smell, the oil got into the clear coat. Yeah, you should have headed right to a car wash. The heat of the hood probably baked it right in. I would try some rubbing compound.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts