Subaru Outback Forums banner

I got stuck then tested if I could get un stuck in an emergency with just zip ties.

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  x183 
#1 ·

Just in case anyone wanted to see this one.

I saw last year that not only are there 'auto socks' where it's a soft fabric that goes over your tires to aid traction in deep snow but there are essentially zip tie snow chains as well.

The commercial product seems to just be a large zip tie with a tread area built in. I really liked this idea as being easy to install, easy to carry, lightweight, and near universal.

I decided to test it with just store bought 36" zip ties.

Unfortunately neither the DIY zip tie snow chains nor the commercial product seems to be a life saver. I'm sure if it's a last resort it's worth trying but I imagine there are better methods of getting un stuck.

I had the snow tires on for this test. They are Michelin X Ice 3 in stock size on stock rims. Mostly because I still have them from when I was driving often into higher elevations but it was difficult to get stuck to begin with with the Gen 5.

Hope this inspires someone to make a good product with a similar idea! Make it work somebody.

See less See more
#2 ·
I was hopeful that might work. Over the years, I've seen many similar systems.

#3 ·
I was hopeful that might work. Over the years, I've seen many similar systems.

Do you know if any of these work?

I noticed the "Trac Grabber" was even using Gen 5 18's in their demo. :)

#10 ·
Haha. I'd been thinking a similar thing. A length of sisal rope with a loop in the middle and on each end. Thread the center through the back and thread the ends over the tire and in from the front a couple times, then connect the loops with a quick link or such.

#8 ·
Thanks for doing the demonstration video! When the first zip tie snapped, it was clear that the cold environment was going to be a problem. Then as the camera operator mentioned, the zip ties broke off while trying to get unstuck. The plastic would have to formulated for the cold, even then the shear forces placed on the tie would likely cause them to break. But now we definitively know.

#9 ·
#12 ·
did you aired down tires ? at least to some 1 bar. just dig a lot , put something under tires some kind of sand tracks and recover. dont think there is some special sauce for recover if you stuck in deep snow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.