Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 2.5 Outback Abyss Blue 2” lift
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so my buddy and I headed out to the Mount Shasta area to seek out some landscape photos. The goal was just to cruise out to some lightly travelled roads, but not really go hardcore. So I left my shovel and rope at home. I should have listened to my gut instinct. ?‍♂

I threw together my first “VLOG” style video to document the fun. What I didn’t do, is record the extreme frustration in between the highs when we got some movement. What’s hard to tell from the video is that we got stuck at about 9:45am and got picked up at about 5:00pm. We came back up in my buddies truck the next morning to free the Outback. It was truly a great learning experience.

One thing I’m wondering, is if I spun the tires longer, would the AWD system put power to the wheels that need it? I tried a few different combos of x-mode/traction control and airing down, but I also didn’t want to dig deeper into the snow.

Anyway, check out the video if you want, and feel free to drop some Outback soft-roading knowledge. Despite not having vehicle recovery gear, I was prepared with water, fire and an emergency locator beacon in case we had to stay the night...

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,033 Posts
As the car was high centered, all four tires lost traction so no amount of xmode/VDC/traction mgmt would have helped.
However, when you got stuck in the hole the final time, it is possible the other three tires could have extracted the car if you had a traction board or anything to help it climb out of the hole.
Remember, the adventure doesn't really begin until things stop going as planned. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As the car was high centered, all four tires lost traction so no amount of xmode/VDC/traction mgmt would have helped.
However, when you got stuck in the hole the final time, it is possible the other three tires could have extracted the car if you had a traction board or anything to help it climb out of the hole.
Remember, the adventure doesn't really begin until things stop going as planned. ;)
It wasn’t properly high centered, but it was definitely dragging the front end which stopped it in its tracks. And so true, it wasn’t that adventurous until we got stuck! ? I was frustrated at first, but then realized I wouldn’t have a story to tell or a lesson learned without the experience.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,207 Posts
Yep. FS Road 19 that leads in to the North Gate trailhead on Mt. Shasta. It had the worst potholes I've ever seen on a supposedly maintained Forest Service road. I did it in August for a summit climb up the Hotlum / Bolam Ridge Route on Shasta, and we did reasonably OK in a friend's Gen 4 only because we could see the deep potholes and dodge them by driving around. You had the disadvantage of not seeing what you were driving over, hit the wrong road features, and broke through.

We have a saying in my climb club: "The worst day on the mountain still beats the best day in the office." I think it applies here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have a saying in my climb club: "The worst day on the mountain still beats the best day in the office." I think it applies here.
Pretty much my sentiment! Although, I add the caveat that it’s second tier fun. In the moment it may not feel like fun, and it probably is pretty miserable. It isn’t until sometime later, when you look back on the misery of the worst day, that it becomes fun!

Fun adventure! I like how you didn't get frustrated. It's all part of the fun.
There were moments that I definitely flirted with frustration! I just had to keep perspective. ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did you try X-Mode to get out?
Yes, I tried several combos of X-mode with and without traction control. That's part of what I was asking in the original post, was there a particular combo that I should have kept it in to increase my chance's of driving out. I thought that with one tire spinning, the X-mode would activate braking to that wheel to help add torque to the other wheels. I didn't experience that, but I also didn't let it spin for a long time because I didn't want to dig myself deeper, I didn't know how deep the snow was right there.

·
Registered
Green 2020 Touring XT Outback
82 Posts
How deep was the snow there? Did you get any idea when you dig down around the wheels? I feel like if you had done xmode with no TC, 2nd gear, and rocked it a bit with the throttle down, you could have gotten it unstuck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I highly recommend MaxTrax. They got me out of a few sticky situations and are well worth it. They probably would have been excellent to use here.
I think you are absolutely right! They are on my short list for recovery gear. I am confident that if I had a shovel I would have gotten myself out that day, lesson learned!

How deep was the snow there? Did you get any idea when you dig down around the wheels? I feel like if you had done xmode with no TC, 2nd gear, and rocked it a bit with the throttle down, you could have gotten it unstuck.
The snow was about 18-24" deep, I did get to the dirt in the first spot we dug in. I didn't try 2nd gear, just 1st and reverse. Is the reason for 2nd to reduce wheel spin? In that video I didn't understand why he was in 2nd. I'm half tempted to go get stuck somewhere on purpose, with back up of course, just to try out different techniques.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts