Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 subaru legacy outback wagon. NO RUST NO BODY DAMAGE MINT! Unfortunately the timing been making noise the oil is leaking from somewhere and im not a fan of the transmission. Any idea what i can switch it out for? I rather something not subaru but any suggestions would be great as long as its a reliable swap. Thank you

Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 3.0R Limited
Yikes, man! Sorry to hear about your frustrations, but you're not making many friends here by saying you "hate the 2.5 boxer motor" 馃槄 People here are very willing to help if you don't come across so brusquely. By the sound of your post, the best response is something like, "Sounds like it's time to grab a Civic or Corolla if the Subaru is not for you." It's just a car so if you don't like it don't stay in it. Best of luck on your search!

Registered
2004 Wrx wagon 5mt
First off, how many miles on the car? When was the timing belt changed last? Any idea where the oil is leaking from? Front, rear, left, right? As for getting into another car, how many opinions do you want? A lot of people here will vouch for a certain model Subaru, others will say Honda, Toyota ect. Ultimately it's up to you. I like Subaru, and have had good luck with my car.

Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
Any 20 year old vehicle has the potential to leak oil and make timing belt noise, especially if maintenance is neglected.

It would be much less expensive to address the issues you see on this engine, as opposed to switching the engine out for something different. If you are unwilling to do that, then do as @Brucey suggested - sell it and get something different.

Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
Anything is possible with the right time, money and skills. I've seen many V8s, even saw some build pictures the other day of a Subaru with a turbo LS AND AWD.

And anything that's 20 years old is going to require some maintenance. I'm working on a Lexus/Toyota 1UZ V8 for my 4Runner, widely considered an extremely reliable engine. But it's 26 years old, so I've easily put $1k in service parts into it while it's out because the gaskets, seals and bearings are all dried up.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Yikes, man! Sorry to hear about your frustrations, but you're not making many friends here by saying you "hate the 2.5 boxer motor" 馃槄 People here are very willing to help if you don't come across so brusquely. By the sound of your post, the best response is something like, "Sounds like it's time to grab a Civic or Corolla if the Subaru is not for you." It's just a car so if you don't like it don't stay in it. Best of luck on your search!
I like the car just not a fan of the motor option. Thanks though. Im just frustrated knowing every 95,000 miles timing heads gasket and waterpump needs to be done. Im not made of money lol

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
First off, how many miles on the car? When was the timing belt changed last? Any idea where the oil is leaking from? Front, rear, left, right? As for getting into another car, how many opinions do you want? A lot of people here will vouch for a certain model Subaru, others will say Honda, Toyota ect. Ultimately it's up to you. I like Subaru, and have had good luck with my car.
Idk about timing but i know it needs it immediately. Its leaking somewhere in the front by timing cover. Im not a mechanic i know enough to get by. I do like the car just not the motor because of timing idk ...

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Oh the cars got 190,000

Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5
Mine's due for pretty much everything you can think of. Suspension, engine leaks, tie rods... Only thing it doesn't need is a tune up.

Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
I like the car just not a fan of the motor option. Thanks though. Im just frustrated knowing every 95,000 miles timing heads gasket and waterpump needs to be done. Im not made of money lol
Timing belt is due every 95k miles (same as any car on the market with timing belt), but head gaskets should only have to be done one time if done properly and upgraded headgaskets used.
As for waterpump, I actually quit changing them years ago, because I've never had one fail, and I've seen "A LOT" of subarus (like over 140, engine swaps or headgasket jobs)
Neglect, lack of maintenance is the reason for failure in 80% of the cases I've seen, other then headgasket, which was a problem with original gaskets.

Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
Timing belt is due every 95k miles (same as any car on the market with timing belt), but head gaskets should only have to be done one time if done properly and upgraded headgaskets used.
As for waterpump, I actually quit changing them years ago, because I've never had one fail, and I've seen "A LOT" of subarus (like over 140, engine swaps or headgasket jobs)
Neglect, lack of maintenance is the reason for failure in 80% of the cases I've seen, other then headgasket, which was a problem with original gaskets.
I can't agree with this post enough.

OEM Subaru water pumps almost never fail. I never replace them on my personal vehicles.

Reactions: DoctorB

Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
I'm just frustrated knowing every 95,000 miles timing heads gasket and waterpump needs to be done.
The list is long of engines that have a belt for timing drive, and also an interference design. And while this doesn't list the service interval, I would be surprised to see any that are much longer than Subaru's 105k miles / 105 months. It's just part of the normal maintenance schedule, and you do it.

Registered
4th & 5th 2.5L Outbacks: new '19 & '14 with 75k. Traded '[email protected] yr 112k, '[email protected] 155k, '[email protected] 155k
At least one major consideration is your budget. You've stuck with a 20+ year old Subbie. What are you willing to pay?

Your 2000 will bring zero as a trade-in and likely nothing as a private sale given its age and condition.

What do you "hate" re the 2.5? Yours is 20 years old, tired AND damaged. You won't find better engines unless you spend a LOT more. Subaru has improved them somewhat over the years and the CVT trannies are nice. We were 5-speed folks until our first '11 OB CVT.

Do you need AWD? Do you need / want a CUV? A 2000 OB is a low wagon, the new Foresters & OBs are higher CUVs. What do you desire?

Imprezas start at $19,000 MSRP. Crosstreks & Legacies at $22-23,000 MSRP. The '21 OBs start at about $27,000 MSRP. A 2021 OB Limited MSRP $33,000+ would set you back $30,000 or more depending on the deal you might get.

Other CUVs to consider, Mazda CX-5, Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, etc. If a sedan would work, Civics, Accords, Corollas, Camrys, etc. Check out the April issue of Consumer Reports at the library if you can't wait another month for the '21 April car issue.

If looking used again budget will determine what you can afford. Honda, Toyota, Subaru are the most reliable. Audis are good but very expensive.

Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
I cannot think of any car manufactured which at 20years / 190K miles will not have some need for maintenance.

You have one of the most bullitt-proof engines ever made. Just exactly what kind of car are you thinking would do better than your Subie?

BTW: the Timing-belt is supposed to be changed every 105months OR 105K miles. Even if it was already changed once, you are WAYYY past the time-limit for the 2nd change.

You say you are not made of money... THEN CHANGE IT NOW before you end up with a boat-anchor for an engine. As a bonus, they will be able to change the $8 seals which are leaking while replacing the belt.

Registered
I鈥檝e been fighting oil leaks as well on an 01 Outback and an 06 XT. The upside is that I csn have the engine out in 1.5 hours by myself. It could be a head gasket, front main seal, cam seal(s), valve cover gaskets, and that鈥檚 on the front. The rear has the rear main seal, block cover (not sure what that plate is called), oil pan, and other items. My XT has quite a few extra places that it can (and has) leaked. Your gaskets are 30 years old, and have done their job. The Subaru engine is good, but it鈥檚 not maintenance free. They鈥檙e not the best-designed motor for maintenance, but they鈥檙e not bad. Try changing the rear valve cover on an 06 Toyota Sienna. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
I can't agree with this post enough.

OEM Subaru water pumps almost never fail. I never replace them on my personal vehicles.
Some years ago, I replaced the water pump on my son's 1996 outback when I was replacing the timing belt. It was an aftermarket pump made in China. Only a few months later, the pump housing cracked and it literally broke apart, that broke the belt, and the engine was ruined. Definitely leave well alone with the OEM pump.

Registered
2005 Outback; formerly 1950 Caddy model 61, '64 Sedan De Ville, '67,'68,'72 Mustangs etc.
I have a 2000 subaru legacy outback wagon. NO RUST NO BODY DAMAGE MINT! Unfortunately the timing been making noise the oil is leaking from somewhere and im not a fan of the transmission. Any idea what i can switch it out for? I rather something not subaru but any suggestions would be great as long as its a reliable swap. Thank you
Tell ya what..
I have a 2000 Legacy GT wagon, about 150 K miles IIRC, good engine, good 5-speed stick, good clutch. The usual valve cover gasket leaks. IIRC the cam belt was changed at around 105K miles.
2.5 liter engine.
Parked it 15 months ago due to being completely crapped out on rust...and a blown power steering setup...that's how I found out the car was a collection of iron molecules.
It had a NEW exhaust system when parked.
It has tires that were less that one year old when parked, so less than 10K miles on them. One wheel has a broken lip on the rim (previous owner), but still three good ones.
It has new rear brakes, and the fronts were done less than a year before parking this.
A/C works, ice cold.
All lights work. Heated seats. All doors and windows work.
Two fobs & the keys.
No rust on doors.
CD/radio works fine.
Title in hand.

Price $100 and get it the **** out of here. Sawp it into your car, sell it for what you can get. You'll have to trailer it out as it can't be driven.

What do you think?
OH, and it's red....and has a full tank of 15 month old gas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts