Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i get an occasional high idle. what happens is that i hear a click under the dash and then the idle will jump to about 800-900 from the usual 600.

the click is probably a relay, but what making it turn on and what is it activating?

99 OB Automatic

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,072 Posts
Or defrost or anything else that uses the AC?

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Any type of electrical load will cause the car to idle faster as the Alternator takes up the load. If the engine fan kicks on this will impact idle speed. If you turn on any heavy power consuming device the idle will jump.

Any defrost settings will jump the idle.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any type of electrical load will cause the car to idle faster as the Alternator takes up the load. If the engine fan kicks on this will impact idle speed. If you turn on any heavy power consuming device the idle will jump.

Any defrost settings will jump the idle.
i thought about that so when it did it i pulled off the road and popped the hood and the fans were not spinning

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Was the car up to temp? If its darn cold the car will will bump idle speed also. Heck my old 2001 would jump idle speed to 1200 or so rpm some times when it was darn cold out.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
yep up to temp. would a failing battery cause it??
Could.

Easy check cold morning before running it check the battery voltage with a meter see what you get. Healthy battery charged up from the commute home the prior night should be 12+ volts. One thats getting on in age might be 12 or into the 11's by morning on a cold night.

Bad ground wire can cause this also or dirty battery connections at the terminals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts